~31~

4 Years Later

~~

"Taylor, how's that Beef bourguignon coming along?" I demanded from one end of the kitchen.

"Almost done, chef!" Taylor, my apprentice, responded from the other end.

I nodded in her direction and turned my attention back to the cheese soufflé mixture I was currently working on.

"Will you please tell me if this Velouté tastes okay?" Lucas, another one of the young chefs working under me asked as he held a wooden spoon in front of me to taste.

I took the spoon from him and placed it between my lips. All at once the familiar comforting taste and velvety texture of the Velouté sauce flooded my senses.

"It's delicious." I patted Lucas on the back. "Good job." He gave me a grateful smile before scurrying away to finish his other tasks.

I poured the soufflé mixture into the porcelain dishes and put them in the preheated oven. Make sure to set the timer for twenty-five minutes.

The kitchen was filled with chaotic sounds and delicious smells. All around me, chefs and waiters hurried to serve food to waiting customers.

I sighed in contentment.

This is what I lived for.

I had gotten my culinary diploma two years ago and finished my chef's apprenticeship last year.

Now, I was working as a Head Chef at Septime, one of the best Michelin Star restaurants in Paris.

"Boss is looking for you." One of the waiters suddenly called out to me.

I raised my eyebrows in question and the waiter shrugged.

I wiped my hands on my apron and turned to Lucas "Keep an eye on the soufflé's, will you?"

"Yes, chef." He responded with a mock salute and I gave him a wink.

~~

I made my way to the small office at the back of the restaurant. I knocked on the mahogany door once.

"Come in." My boss's familiar voice beckoned.

"You asked for me?"

"Yes." She responded.

"What can I do for you?" I gave her a pointed look.

"Keep me company." She gave me a cheeky smile.

I rolled my eyes. "You can't just pull me out of work because you're bored, Nora."

"Sure I can. I own this place." She shrugged.

Her pretty blue eyes sparkled with mischief.

I laughed.

Nora was the owner of Septime. She owned two other restaurants in Paris and another one in Nantes.

She was also my closest friend.

We'd hit it off when she'd taken my job interview. She had hired me on the spot and we'd grown closer over time.

"You can't play favorites when it comes to employees. Someone might file a complaint against me saying that I use our friendship as an excuse to slack at my job."

Nora rolled her eyes this time. "Please. Everyone in this restaurant knows that you work harder than anyone here. Also, everyone working with you here loves you too much to ever file a complaint against you."