Perfectly Helpless

He stood there, feeling perfectly helpless as the giant creature looked down on him with its bright, spiteful eyes.
All he could do was clutch his book tighter, and fall to his knees as it came closer.
It spread it's enormous wings, as if to make itself look even bigger.

'I guess this is it.' He thought to himself quietly, as he looked down at his shaking hands. He thought back to certain summer nights with his parents and to how they rebuild they're village even after the catastrophe.
He thought about what everyone had achieved, how far they had taken their ideal, how they survived.
Surely the credit didn't belong to  him, but maybe he too could have done something good in his life, even if it was something small.

Now he would never find out. He was damned to say goodbye to his short, yet eventful life, only to be killed by the demons his people despised.

Would they even miss him?
He wasn't too sure, after all they sent him here, knowing he wasn't a fighter. Maybe they wanted this to happen, perhaps this was his unique death penalty for being useless.

He shut his eyes tightly, waiting for some kind of impact or attack.
His heart was beating faster than ever as he took uneven breaths.
He braced himself for the pain that was about to come.

Then suddenly, he felt a wave of heat near him.
But it wasn't painful at all, as if it wasn't aimed at him, which was utterly confusing.
Maybe the creature had just missed. Or it was trying to kill him slowly, he shuddered at the thought.

He didn't even consider opening his eyes, holding on to the childish hope that the creature would leave him alone, that was until he heard loud footsteps.
They echoed through his head, being the only familiar, human thing to comfort him.

He opened his eyes carefully to understand just what was going on.
The scene before him, took his breath away.

Blue flames danced near the creature, capturing it in a circular field, holding back the red fire it would occasionally spew.
The image was surreal. Those flames, he knew he had seen them, he had read about them in the holy books. He had learned to fear them.
So why were they holding back his enemy?

The second shock was that the flames were apparently controlled by someone.
The person standing there, trapping the giant monster, was a rather small, silver haired male, wearing a white and blue cloak.
His expression was one of concentration, no trace of evil to be found on his pale face.

The man wasn't sure if he should admire or fear the mystic stranger, considering he quite obviously was a witch.

"Hey you! Please move so I can take care of this properly!" The silver haired magician called out.

All the soon to be monk could do in response was nod quickly and run from where he said, only to hide behind a large tree.
From there he watched the battle of flames with trembling hands and a heavy chest.
'Why is this witch even standing up for me?' He thought in confusion.
This took him way back.

He was still a child, when the witch hunting period had reached it's peak.
It had already been popular in the known kingdoms for a much longer time, but eventually it even reached their village.

Public executions were a daily thing, he knew this.
However he wasn't exactly traumatized, considering he never had to see one, his parents made sure he never would have to face anything of that sort.
Even if they were really high class people, and involved in those prosecutions, he never had to see any of it.

Until that one night, were it all went down the drain.

It was a typical sunday night, were after his biblical studies, he was finally able to go to bed.
"Mummy! Mummy! Tell me a good night story!" He begged his mother as he usually would.