Wake up Call

"Hey, Daniel? Daniel, can you hear me?"

Those words hang in the air dreadfully for a while.

Joe looked at the passed out male worriedly. "Is he gonna be ok?" He questioned, looking Jay in the eye, trying to read him.

Jay's answer was a sigh, then a dismissing wave of his hand. "Let him sleep, it's better. You know when people are sleep walking you're not supposed to wake them up? Well this is similar."
After a small break he indicated for a guy in the back of the bar, to bring Daniel to the infirmary.

Meanwhile the brown haired male didn't look particularly convinced. "But he isn't sleep walking. He just fainted."

Jay shook his head. "He's breathing, so he'll be fine.
Besides he didn't just pass out. Our dear friend is getting close to the answer."

Joe took a sip of his water, which had warmed up to room temperature by now, and left a bitter taste in his mouth. "What answer?"
He didn't know why he was suddenly so brave, but somehow he was.

"Many answers, The book of Answers. He's getting close to it. He's the owner isn't he?" Jay questioned, though he already knew. Still he had that intense, thoughtful expression, making him look drastically older. Exhausted. The young adult was carrying so much on his shoulders, like a father to everyone in that base.
It was a strange feeling that he could never truly get used to. Loving all the people around him so much, but not being able to trust them, because they might be a traitor.
He had to listen closely to each conversation, spying on his friends like the enemy, but it was always so loud.
That was probably the reason why he liked being with his friend Mona. Her silence was comforting, therefore he trusted her the most.

"I don't really know." Was the only thing Joe had to say.
"I don't think I really know anything. I'm not even a part of this. I don't even have magic. All I know is that I am confused. And all of this scares me." He admitted, it was embarrassing, but he needed to say it.

Jay sighed again, then he ordered another beer.
"You see, about that-"

They were interrupted by gunshots, from outside of the cafe.
They were loud and unforgiving.

Jay shot up immediately, grabbing his own weapon. Mona immediately followed him, and so did a couple of other people.

Meanwhile Joe went to hide under the table, there wasn't much he could do anyway.

Jay looked outside, ready for anyone to be a traitor, and ready to shoot whoever turned out to be the culprit.
But he was too late.

The culprit, a young man that had recently joined they're community, was laying on the ground unmoving. In front of him stood Pau, who was currently putting her gun back into the pocket of her dress.

Pau looked up at Jay sadly, before pointing somewhere to her right.
"He got Cindy really bad, she was walking over here to tell you something she found while reading, and he shot her. Thankfully he only got ribs, and he didn't aim well enough to get her heart, but like this she needs to heal for quite a while.
I saw this and shot him before he could do more damage. I didn't want to do it but he didn't drop that damn gun." She sounded frustrated, like she was about to tear up. But she didn't. She quickly calmed herself, then indicated for someone to carry away the body.

Jay watched the lifeless body being lifted, and carried away to be buried under ground.
Sometimes he wondered why they were even doing this.

Pau was about to leave, when Jay noticed something.
"Wait a moment."
He inquired.

Pau turned around and looked at him wide eyed. "What is it?"

"Aren't you supposed to be with Anne?" He asked confusedly.

Pau smiled. "She wanted to sleep after I braided her hair. Poor girl is tired. I left the bar some time ago, but you didn't notice." She explained herself.

"You really love braiding people's hair don't you?" Jay asked, chuckling a bit. Pau was great at getting people to cheer up, that much was clear.

The pink haired girl smiled in response. "Well of course I do. I really like Anne, I think she's gonna be my new girly bestie!" She said excitedly.

The red haired male gave a fond smile. "I don't think Shai will like that."

Pau smiled sadly. "I don't think Shai likes me. I love her nonetheless, but she's on the other side." With that she waved waved, and walked away.
"See you tomorrow my friend."

Jay also proceeded to go back into the cafe. Where sympathetic, as well as scared eyes met him.

There was complete silence, everyone was starting at him carefully, trying to figure out what happened.

"Don't worry people, everything has been taken care of." Jay announced.
After that everyone started to calm down, slowly but surely. So the chatter began all over and the room became more lively bit by bit.

Jay sat back at the table, where a silent Mona, and a shaking Joe awaited him.

"That seriously was a wake up call. We need to stop wasting time." The red haired leader muttered under his breath.

Mona nodded and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

Meanwhile Joe looked at him with tired eyes.
"What does it feel like?" He mumbled.

"What?" Jay questioned in confusion.

"You know, doing a job like yours..." Joe continued, getting more insecure.

"At some point you don't really wanna think about feelings anymore." Jay honestly answered.
"Are you tired?" He proceeded to ask.

Joe only nodded.
"I know there is something you need to tell me. But how about we talk tomorrow?" Joe suggested sleepily.

Now Joe was the one to nod. "Yeah." he replied. "Tomorrow." He didn't know what it was, but something about that word utterly disturbed him.