Mafia¹

There was a moment of dead silence, where everyone was wondering about the same thing as Hosuh.
Then from behind one of the houses Stephen appeared, wearing his typical grumpy expressions, with a hint of mistrust.
"Why the hell are you even trusting those people?" He asked in an accusing manner, staring at Jay and Mona.

Jay smirked. "Why should we trust you if you just attack us. We were just being nice."

Mona chuckled at Jay's comment.

The necromancer simply kept his glare on them. "Oh really, being nice huh? Someone who kills people isn't just nice for no reason. So spit it out! What do you want from us?"

This version of Stephen reminded Hosuh of how he used to act when they had first met. As if he'd just built up all those walls they'd torn down, in a matter of seconds.
"C'mon Stephen calm down, we don't have much of a choice anyway, can't you see?" Hosuh said softly, trying to calm his friend.

Daniel nodded, approving of what Hosuh had just explained.

Jay shook his head and laughed. "I think you're just mad because your attack didn't work on me. You see there's no reason to worry, we're very much alike. I too have the luck and burden of those that use magic."
The charming male sated.

Stephen muttered something along the lines of. "Still don't trust you."
Before walking up to the rest of his friends.

Both Hosuh and Daniel looked at him with a worried expression, before turning to their saviours, a.k.a. Jay and Mona.

"Let's go then. You must have a lot to explain to us." Daniel said, smiling slightly, trying to lighten the rather dim mood.
'someone who kills people isn't just nice for no reason'
That sentence didn't add up. Why would Stephen say that when both him and Dan were guilty of murder.

Jay nodded and indicated for them to follow him along the way toward the exit of the small town.
The walk was filled with undeniable tension, as each of them had something to ask. Every single one of them had an individual question irking to leave their mouth.

This made the silent walk out of town, and through the forest, seem even longer than it was.
With each silent second they became more impatient.

Joe was probably the most confused one. Why was he even coming along with those witches, those people with weird supernatural powers that were above his understanding, and against his morals.
He couldn't help but shake slightly, wondering if it was all a trap, or just a nightmare.

He walked directly behind Hosuh, as he seemed to be the most trustworthy person around.
Still he wasn't sure if he could actually trust anyone.

The young adult was rather confused, as nothing about his situation really made sense.
Usually the village only got evacuated when they knew there was a witch in town, so that someone could kill that witch without putting civilians in danger.
'Someone' He thought anxiously, one time he had overheard a conversation of his grandpa and his friend, or better college, talking about that group of someones, but he had been to afraid to spy on them.
He regretted it to that day.
But the main question was: How did they know they were coming?

"Hey. Let's take a break and talk. We're too far for any unwanted listeners to be there." Jay stated, his smooth voice washing over the others like a wave of relief.

But now that they could talk, it was like everyone had forgotten their questions, they felt mute. It was truly weird that no one knew how to really start that conversation.

Once again, Jay saved them from a burden. "You probably want to know more precisely who we are, and who the others are, right?" The tall man began, leaving them all curious.

Both Daniel and Annabelle nodded furiously.

Jay sighed. "Well it's not easy to explain, but we are basically some kind of magic police, if that makes sense. We're an organization built to protect people with special abilities from witch hunters, or in some cases from themselves." He looked Stephen directly in the eye after saying that last phrase.
"However I'd be lying if I said we are a completely good organization. You see we have our enemies too.
And that's where the others come into play.
They are a group of hustlers and they work for whoever offers more money. We don't know what their main goal is except causing us trouble, but we're working on finding out about it.
They are ruthless and willing to murder anyone that gets in their way. We like to call them the Mafia, because they do their work in secrecy and behind the scenes. We're currently at a fight for the control of these lands, and to be honest we're far from winning." Jay admitted this confidently, not caring about the others opinions.

Hosuh looked taken aback for a moment, not sure what to think.

Meanwhile Daniel felt reassured, of course something weird was going on. He knew it from the start. Something was going on when they weren't looking, in the Shadows.

They took that new information in for a moment, before that silence was interrupted by Daniel.
"I have another question. How did you know we'd be here?" He asked carefully.

Jay looked serious for a moment. "We use the same tricks as them, no one plays fair here. Remember the first town you found in these lands? Remember Pau?"

Daniel nodded in confusion.

"She works for us." Jay explained drily. "She made sure to get your direction. Besides she also asked many people that are part of the Mafia about stuff. She is one of our best spies." He further made clear.

Suddenly Daniel felt realisation hit him. "So those noises in the morning were..."

"Shots, exactly. The Mafia was attacking us." Jay finished the sentence.

It was weird knowing all of that, because now they felt as though they were even more of a part of what was going on. Now they knew they were involved.
Little dis they know they were involved since the day they left the known kingdoms.

Joe cleared his throat. "So they spied on us to know magic people were coming toward the city?" He asked to reassure himself.

Jay cringed fir a moment. "Well  yeah, but the reason for the evacuation wasn't your friends.
I'll talk to you one on one about this when we get to our hideout." Jay said sounding a bit down.

Joe nodded, trying a shaky smile. Why did he always end up being the clueless one? It wasn't fair.
Now he was even more nervous then before. Great.

Authors comment:
So yeah, hope you like this chapter, I'm pretty busy so that's why I'm so slow.
The only reason I had time to update today is because I am sick, Yay!

Anyway let's get back to the positive stuff!
So recently TheLamaGruo13 made an amazing fanart so I just wanted to say thanks!

I actually wanted to do that in the last chapter, but I forgot because I'm stupid.