Chapter 14

Percy POV

"Annabeth!" My eyes shoot open and I hit my head on the bunk above me, "Shit!"

I rub my forehead and looked at the alarm clock next to me. 4:23 am. Groaning, I stand up and get dressed, knowing I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. Not without Annabeth.

I leave my cabin and I just walk. I watch my feet follow each other. One, after, another. I count as I take each step to keep myself busy, and I wait for the rest of camp to wake up.

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, elleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty, twenty-one, twenty-two . . .

Eventually, I reach the edge of the forest. I lay down on the wet grass, not bothering to use my powers to stay dry, but I'm not sure if I even could considering how exhausted I am. I look up and watch the last of the stars disappear with the morning.

"Bob says hello."

I feel water on my skin, but I can't tell if it's the mist from the air or my tears. The feeling of the wet grass beneath my palms calms me and I shut my eyes. However, peace never lasted long for me, and my eyes shoot open and I stand in only a seconds time when I hear the snap of a twig behind me. A nervous, no terrified, nymph  waves at me and flashes away. A deep sigh escapes my body and I lay back down, but the grass is not longer comforting.

"Hi, Zoe." I take in a deep breath, "How's it up in the stars?"

I let out a sob when there's no response.

"This is stupid. You're in the underworld. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

I watch the moon disappear.

"Can- can you tell Silena and Charlie that I'm sorry?" I let out a bitter chuckle, "You probably can't even hear me. This is stupid. I'm so stupid. I'm sorry."

This time, I know that it's my tears that are on my face and not the mist.

I hear the sounds of loud campers and I stand up. Time for another dreaded day.