Chapter Two

On our way back, I hang back and so does the beautiful boy. "I'm Carl," he says. He's actually so stunning that it hurts to look at him. Focus, I tell myself.

"Kaitlyn," I say.

"Listen, I heard what you did, for your family and I want you to know that if I was in the same position, I would have done the same thing for my sister or... or my mom."

He looks away and a single tear rolls down his cheek. He doesn't want me to see, but I do, although I pretend I don't. He viciously wipes at his face, erasing any trace that a tear was once there.

"So don't feel bad," he continues. But what I don't tell him is that I don't feel bad. Those guys deserved it.

******

"Well, we're here."

I turn and expect to see a campsite, or maybe even a shed. But no. It's a prison, and a very large one at that. I begin to walk towards it, expecting it to disappear before my eyes, like a mirage.

"Wait," calls Carl, worriedly. "It's not safe, " he says pointing to the corpses, walkers, surrounding it.

"We're going to get in the car over here, and drive up to the gates." Says Daryl.

We half walk, half run to the green car and squash into the two seater. Daryl drives as Hershel, the older man, only has one leg.

As we approach the gate, two woman open them up. "Mum, I want to stay with you." Sammy says quietly. It's scary how much she has been through, for a seven year old. She knows how to handle a knife but only in an extreme emergency, like when the camp was overrun. I think she took out more corpses than I did that day. I hate that she had to do it, when I was the one supposed to protect her. My sister, my responsibility.

"You can bunk with her, then." Says Daryl. "It's okay chick. You're safe now."

"Kaitlyn, you can bunk with me, if you want." Carl says, casually.

"Okay" I say calmly, even though my head is spinning and my heart is pounding and my stomach is full of butterflies. My mum darts me a knowing look.

"Okay, but no funny business," says mum. Somehow, even when the world's gone to shit, she still manages to embarrass me, and in front of one of the most gorgeous guys I've ever seen in real life.

"Ughhh Muuuummm!!!" I moan, but Carl just laughs.

"You too Carl. Remember I'm reporting back to your dad." Says Daryl, but as he says so, he turns and winks at Carl and I. Great. Now we both have red faces.

The two women close the gates when we get through. Everyone get's out. "Hi, I'm Maggie and this is Carol. Welcome." says the first woman, a brunette. "Oh and that's Beth, carrying Judith." she says.

Beth is really pretty and this makes me jealous but I don't know why. It's the apocalypse, for fuck's sake. But she seems really sweet, too sweet to handle this. She's a few years older than me but I think we could be great friends.

******

I left my best friends, Alice and Lana, back in Scotland. I promised it wouldn't be long until I saw them. I've broken that promise. I think it's been about eighteen, maybe nineteen months. Are they okay? Have they survived? Maybe the virus hasn't spread that far...

******

And boom... I'm snapped back to reality.

"Don't just stand there, Carl. Show them to their cells, " says a man, in about his mid-thirties. Carl's dad I assume. And Carl does as he's told.