Chapter Eight

I grip Carl's hand as we walk back inside. Glen wolf-whistles as we pass him but other than that, no one makes a fuss. We get back to our cell and we sit on Carl's bunk. "So..." he says.

"So..." I repeat. "What now?"

"I dunno. Wanna play cards? for real this time?" he asks.

"Okay, what game?" I say.

"How about 'Go Fish'?" he asks, retrieving is cards.

"Yeah," I reply, "but you'll have to teach me."

******

We're sitting on the cell floor, with Carl still trying to teach me how to play 'Go Fish'. "I can't believe you've never played before. It's easy! How do you not get it?"

"It's not easy! Ugh!" I say. "Why don't we go see if we can take Judith a walk?" I say. "And next time, we're playing chess. Something I can beat you at."

"You're on," he says, raising his left eyebrow.

******

Outside Beth's cell, we hear her singing to Judith. We walk into her cell. "Hey," Carl says, "Can we take Judith out for a while? Within the grounds, of course."

"Sure, she's your little sister," Beth says. "Hey Judith. You wanna go out with Carl and Kaitlyn?" Judith gurgles happily, in response. "Here you go," says Beth handing Judith over to me. "Be careful guys. Bye."

We walk out into the daylight and we find a part of the prison that isn't surrounded by walkers. I hold Judith in my arms, and she starts to snore softly. "You're good with her, you know," says Carl.

"Yeah?" I ask. "Well... never mind."

"What?" Carl asks.

"Promise you won't laugh?"

"Cross my heart," he says, listening.

"Um, I know that I said I wanted to be a doctor, but at any point in my life, you could've asked me what I really wanted to be, I'd say... well I'd say that I want to be a mum. I know it sounds stupid but that's all I really want. Even when I didn't know whether I wanted to be a doctor or a singer or a social worker or whatever, I always wanted to me a mother." I say.

Carl smiles. "That's beautiful, what you just said." He says.

"Shut up!" I say. "What about you? What do you really want to be?"

"I don't really know," Carl admits. "It changed a lot, when I was little and now all I know is to survive."

"Well we're safe now. You'd better start thinking," I say. At that point Sammy comes running at us, with two other girls following her. I hand baby Judith to Carl and I raise a finger to my lips, signalling to Sammy to be quiet. "Baby Judith is sleeping. Who's this?" I ask, gesturing at the girls behind her.

"I'm Lizzie and this is my sister Mika," says the older girl. "Nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you too," I say. "Where are you three heading?" I ask.

"We're going to help Rick with the farming," says Sammy.

"Well, off you go," I say, as she hugs me.

Carl and I sit down on the grass and I take Judith back. "She's so adorable, you know,"I state. "I don't know if I'll ever have a baby. I don't want to bring one into this world."

"I don't know." Carl says. He seems distant now. We lay on the grass and talk and watch the clouds and every time Judith makes a little snuffling noise, we find it so cute. I look at Carl and I feel the happiest I have since before the outbreak. I've made up my mind.

I do like Carl.