Chapter Twenty-Three

Kaitlyn's POV

When Rick and Carl have their moment, I feel like I'm intruding. I go upstairs and find my mum. She's still in tears. I put my arms around her and we sob together. It hurts me to see her like this, even though I'm hurting too. Some how, we fall asleep.

******

I am woken by the sound of some creaking outside. Probably another walker. I run down stairs, leaving my mother to sleep.

"Carl!" I say, shaking him awake. He moans and mumbles.
"Five more minutes!" he whines. I kick him, telling him to get up.
"There's noises outside." He gets up and cocks his gun.
"Are you okay?" He asks. I nod. By this time, Rick is awake too. Then there's a knock on the door. I rest a hand on the knife in my belt, and lift my gun. Rick raises his hand and then puts a finger to his lips, telling us to be quiet. He looks through the peep hole.

Laughing, he turns around. "It's for you," he says to Carl, grinning.

******

"I can't believe that I found you guys!" Michonne says.

"Yeah," I say, "I'm sorry I borrowed your sword. I just had to load up on weapons."

"Yeah, that's fine," she answers. "Just keep it for now. As a spare."

"Cool. Thanks." I say. I get up and hug her. I walk out the kitchen. I don't eavesdrop. I just overhear.

"So, you and Kaitlyn have gotten pretty close, huh?" I hear Michonne asking Carl. I can almost hear the grin in her voice. She has been more happier since she found us, than I've ever saw her before.

"Yeah, I guess," I hear Carl's rough voice replying. He's been crying at night too. I've heard him, but I've never been very good around guys, or people in general. "I just feel as if we're in the same boat, y'know? Like she's the only one who understands me. She was, is willing to do anything that it takes to save her family, just like me. I feel as if she's part of my family now, too." I hear him blurt out.

"You've got it bad, don't you? You've really fallen for her?" Michonne asks.

"Yeah, but I don't know if she feels the same," I do Carl, I do. I think that I should tell him. I run upstairs, a little bit giddy.

******

Sammy's POV

As Mika and Lizzie walk ahead, they hold hands. I feel a pang of pain when I look at them. They have each other. Sure, they lost their mum and dad, but they have their sister. I've lost my mum, dad and my sister. What I wouldn't give to have my sister here with me. I would rather Kaitlyn, than anyone. Tyreese, Carol, Mika or even Judith. And as for Lizzie, I don't even like her, I only tolerate her because Mika is probably my best friend.

"Guys, Judith needs changed." I say, carrying her on my front. "She stinks." I hand her over to Carol. She opens her diaper.

"Whoohh," she puffs, waving her hand in front of her nose. "How can something so cute make something so disgusting?!" She changes Judith in a flash. Practise, I guess. We carry on until we come to a house.

******

"Is there any in there?" I ask.

"One. It doesn't sound too alert. You girls stay out here, with Judith." Tyreese says. Carol and Tyreese go into the house, looking for the corpse. I lose myself in my own thoughts. I think about home and my family. Lizzie and Mika get into a shouting match for something that I don't hear. Judith starts to cry and fuss in Lizzie's arms. "Here," I say. "Let me," and I take the baby from her. She calms down in minutes, but Lizzie and Mika continue to fight. The walker from in the house comes stumbling out. It falls over the porch railing. We all fumble back as I try to keep Judith safe. Mika tries to get her gun, but she dropped it back near the walker, and Lizzie just stands there.

A gunshot rings through the air and Carol stands there with her pistol pointed at the walker as it slumps to the ground in a heap. Mika runs to her and hugs her. "Thank you," I say. As my mum used to say, 'Manners cost nothing.'