Chapter Fifteen

As I lay here, I drift back to the day I first met Seb. I've been trying not to think about him or the rest of my friends and family, but the safer I feel, the more I think of them. The first time I met Seb, I didn't like him.

*FLASHBACK*

I was in Primary 5, which is like 6th grade or year 6, and I was sitting in my class, next to my best friend at the time Gemma. We were laughing and having fun even though we were told off many times.

Then the head teacher came into our classroom and said: "We have a new pupil," and Gemma and I weren't really paying attention. "Come on in Sebastian. They don't bite," he continued. Well, a few do, I thought to myself. I was expecting another annoying, stupid, nose-picking boy, but then this tall lean boy came into our class.

Gemma and I continued to talk, but I was the only one who got caught. "Well, Kaitlyn, since you like talking so much, you can show Sebastian here around," said the head teacher, Mr Caine.

"But..." I started to protest, but I knew I wouldn't get very far. "Fine." I mumbled. So I tried to help Seb with some things, but he just snapped at me. "I don't care what you have to say. I can look out for myself." he yelled and walked away. Suit yourself, I thought. He didn't prove to be very good at looking out for himself. The next three days in a row, he got into fist fights. Twice he won but then he made the mistake of fighting with the biggest boy in our class. He lost two teeth.

When he was lying on the ground, I was the one to run over and help him up. I took him to the school nurse and stayed with him, because he wanted me to. I used the excuse that I was supposed to show him around and stuff. After that day, we were pretty much inseparable. We had our separate friends but we were usually together.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

At some point I must have fallen asleep and I wake up to Rick standing over us. "Hey, you two. Get up!" he says. "Y'all are on fence duty after ya get some food." He lifts Judith from my lap and she nuzzles into his neck. "I was thinking you could take Sammy, Lizzie and Mika. The more, the better. And with you guys there, they won't mess around as much." I don't really want to take Sammy but she'll have to learn sooner or later. Sooner is probably better.

We go and have dinner. It's beans and potatoes tonight. One of the better meals, I guess. "We should try and get some pasta," I think out loud. "I used to love pasta and if you get the dried stuff, it doesn't go bad for years," I say.

"We'll try to get some on the next run." Rick says. I notice that Carl has been silent the whole way back into the prison. Carl and I sit together in a corner, just the two of us. "What's up?" I ask as he just eyes his food.

"Nothing," he says quietly, pushing his food around the plate.

"It doesn't look like nothing," I whisper. I don't want to agitate him. He has a very short fuse.

"I'll talk to you about it later. When we're alone." he says, flashing a smile at me. That's the Carl I know. And I know that crooked grin all too well.