Chapter Nine

Now that I've made up my mind, I don't know how to act. We stay outside until the light starts to fade and there's a chill in the air. "We'd better get you back inside," I coo to baby Judith. "C'mon Carl," I say, shaking him awake.

We stand, and we go back inside. We drop Judith back at Beth's cell. "We're going to take you back out again tomorrow," I say as Judith gurgles away and I put her down in her crib. "We're going to go have something to eat," Carl says to Beth. "See ya later."

We walk to the dining hall, hand in hand. We pass my mum but she just raises her eyebrows again. I opt for an apple and some water and Carl has a granola bar with some water. We take them back to our cell. "Chess." I say, "Something that I can win at."

"Okay, lets go get the chess set from the kids hall." says Carl. We walk to the end of the cell block and pick up the set. "Here, or back at our cell?" I ask.

"Let's go back," he says.

******

"And... checkmate!" I say. "I told you I'd win."

"I let you win!" says Carl. "I'm tired. I'm gonna go to bed,"

"Yeah, yeah! But me too. Hand me that book, will ya," I say.

"Here. Hey look at you, been here two days and you're talking like us." he says laughing. He presses his lips to mine, for a long time. "Good night," he says when we stop.

"Night night," I say crawling up to my bunk with my book. I start to read and get about 5 pages in.
"Kaitlyn?" Carl says.
"Yeah?"
"Um, do you wanna be my girlfriend?" He mumbles. There's a long silence. Now that I've heard those words, I can't help but think of Seb.
"I... um... well..." I stammer. "I don't really know. Maybe we should wait and see." I don't want to hurt his feelings. "We had this conversation earlier, we only just met. I'm sorry." I say quietly.
"Doesn't matter. Forget I even said anything." He mutters.
"Look," I say, "This is going to sound stupid but before this, Sebastian was my boyfriend for four years. We were so young and people thought it was cute, but the longer we were together, the more I loved him. I miss him and it's going to take a while for me to get over that. Please be patient." I say. I climb down to his bunk and crawl under his blanket.
"I should have told you this earlier, but I thought about it and I realized that I really do like you. I just need time. Please." I whisper to the back of his head. He slowly turns over.
"You do?" He asks.
"Uh-huh. And I mean it. You see me for me and I really appreciate that. We have fun, right?" I ask. My lips meet his. He pulls me in close as his lips move along my jawline. "Not yet," I say. "This is enough." I can't bear to leave him so I sleep in his bed, with his arms around me and his head buried in my hair. It's the first night in months, that I don't have a nightmare.