Chapter Twenty-Eight

Sammy's POV

Lizzie's gone now too. Carol did it. And honestly, I'm glad she did. If she hadn't, I'd be sleeping with one eye opened. Not that I sleep. I'm too afraid to sleep. When I close or open my eyes, the nightmare doesn't go away. Everyone in this world is an empty shell of the person they once were.

Kaitlyn's POV

I head back to Rick to tell him where we are. It's late and I need something to do. My mother is unconscious on the sofa. I saw too much tonight. Carl offers to come with me but he couldn't walk quietly in space. I head out and I take my mother's sword. The night air seems to draw the walkers. It makes them more alert. In my experience of the end of the world, you stay down, quiet, alert and stick to the walls. I try my best to keep quiet and only a few walkers see me. I take them out easily. When we were in the forest, I learned how to be virtually silent.

When I finally reach the house, I climb to the roof and through the window. I go down the stairs and Rick is already there to greet me. On my long journey back to the house , I found a gun and bashed can of peas. "My mum was bitten," I tell him coldly. "On the hand."

"Is she..." he starts. I shake my head no.

"No, she alive, just without her left hand," I say. "Carl and Michonne are waiting with her at the house we were in, because she's unconscious. Carl found a lot of useful things there to help, Morphine, Penicillin, Ibuprofen, Percocet, even some whiskey. I'm going to head back tomorrow. We'll clear it out and come back here."

"I'll come too---" he starts.

"No. You're still injured. We'll just crash and burn if we don't start at 100%," I interrupt. "I'll be okay. We'll be okay." He just nods. "I'm going to get some sleep. Let me tell you, it's been an exhausting day." I say. I fall asleep as soon as my head touches the floor.

******

I wake at the break of dawn. I've done that since this thing started. Eating a stale granola bar, I get ready to go. I pack a large bag with some food, clothes, my new gun, my sharpened kitchen knives and Sammy's princess doll. Rick tries to get up and come with me on my return. "No," I order him. "Get some rest. We'll be back soon." I persuade.

Running as fast as I can, I finally reach the house. My mum is still unconscious but Michonne tells me that she woke up a while ago in pain. She took a Percocet and an Ibuprofen, rationing the pain meds. "We'll give her another hour, then wake her up. That's about all we can afford. Plus, that gives us time to gather any supplies." I say. "Michonne, can you take first watch?" She nods and I head upstairs where Carl is sitting on a bed reading a comic. "We have to gather all the supplies we can," I tell him. I pick up an MP3 player and turn it on, finding that it has full battery. I slip it into my pocket.

"I've already started," he says, gesturing at a large bag that's half filled in the middle of the room. "I have something for you," he says, pulling a thick necklace with an angel pendant from his pocket. It's beautiful. I throw my arms around his neck.

"Thank you! I've never gotten jewellery from a boy before. Well, not true. Once, but it was made of rubber." I say shrugging. I kiss Carl on the cheek and it flushes slightly pink, although we're past blushing at this stage. "It's beautiful," I tell him. "I love you, Carl Grimes." I lightly press my lips to his.

"I love you, Kaitlyn Spencer," he replies."Hey, random thought," he says, breaking the moment. "I don't have a middle name. What about you?"

"Well, I, have two," I start. "My full name is Kaitlyn Maria Cleo Spencer." I giggle. "I had a half brother back in Scotland. His mum and my dad were together for a short while before he met mines. It turned out Cameron, my brother, was on the way when my dad met my mum. Four years after he was born, my parents found out I was on the way. But anyway, no one could agree on a name for Cameron so his full name was Cameron Antony Logan Kyle Spencer." I say, and the smile drops from my face. "He's dead now. He died in a fire a few months before the world went to shit." A single tear slips down my face and I realize that I'm an only child. I can't protect anyone. Carl pulls me in close, so that I'm wrapped up in a cage of his warmth. He kisses my head.

"Come on. Let's get our supplies sorted."

I find a large knapsack. We load it with canned food, books, bottled water, wire and any other useful things. When we head downstairs, Michonne has gathered what she can and is waking my mother up. Her hand, or lack thereof, is bandaged. She wants to duct tape a knife to it so that she's still useful. She does it, with Michonne's help. After we're all sorted and we have some extra clothes and jackets, we set off.