Chapter Twenty-Two

When I wake, it's dark out. Both Carl and I are resting against the sofa. We hear moans. Walker moans. Rick's arm falls to the floor and reaches out for us. Carl pulls me away from him. He raises his gun and points it at the undead Rick, ready to fire. But then he drops it. "I was wrong. I can't. I'm sorry Dad." he says in between sobs. Rick's breathing gets heavier as he struggles towards us. I'm frozen to the spot with fear. A tear rolls down my cheek and I grip Carl's hand. I can't think of a reason to carry on. Why not just end it?

"Carl! Carl!" Rick wheezes. He's alive. "Carl! Don't go outside. It's not safe. Stay safe." He says.

Carl pulls Rick's head onto his lap still crying. "I love you," he whispers to his dad.

******

Tyreese's POV

"Girls! Be quiet. You'll attract walkers." I scold Lizzie and Mika. They're bickering again.

"But it's her turn," Lizzie whines.

"Just give her here." I say. I turn and take Rick's baby, Judith from the girls. We saved her from the prison and now she won't stop fussing. "Give me her bottle," I say.

"Here," Anne's daughter, Sammy, says. She escaped with us too. I would be better off on my own, rather than with three little girls and a baby, but I owe it to them. They saved my life. I'm not sure which of them did it, but it all went by in a flash. Plus they all look so alike, young, shy, blonde and petite. It's hard to believe that any of them are capable of killing a fly, yet at least one of them shot two people. In the head. Sammy stares at me intently, her big blue eyes, sad and alone. Well, lonely but not alone. "Would you like me to do it?" she asks, and I nod, handing Judith to her. We hear a scream in the distance, followed by three gunshots. "Stay here," I say. "And stay back to back. Quieten the baby down as well." I run towards the screams.

"No!" Sammy and Mika say together. "Don't leave."

"Tuck your shirt behind your belt so that it's easier to get to your gun and knife." Lizzie says, taking Judith from Sammy. They do as they're told, and I run to the noises.

******

Sammy's POV

"Tuck your shirt behind your belt so that it's easier to get to your gun and knife." Lizzie says, taking Judith from me. Mika and I do just that, while Tyreese runs off. We hear rustling in the bushes, and some loud whimpering from Judith. The whimpering begins to get muffled, but I don't have time to ask why. A corpse comes stumbling through the bushes at Mika. She points her gun at it, but doesn't fire. I run around to her. I jump up and stab it in the eye. I have to pull and haul to get my knife back. It's one of the last things I have from my sister. When I get it out, I stand back where I was, just as another one stumbles out. I can't get to it as I have to take Judith from Lizzie. She's smothering the poor kid. Literally.

Mika gets ready to fire her gun but freezes, and Lizzie doesn't even bother to help her. I think it's over, when a gunshot knocks the monster to the ground, dead. But it wasn't Mika who fired.

******

Tyreese's POV

When I find where the noises are coming from, I'm too late. I reach a set of tracks, and I see walkers gnawing on what used to be a leg. I hear another gunshot far back. I see the small shoe, and realise that it was probably one of the kids from the prison. Carl, or Molly, or Luke, or Kaitlyn. I'm about to go back to the girls and as I turn around I see that they are already there, with an extra person. Carol!

-----------------------

Guys!

I just realised that I forgot about the part about the flu! :( I don't know if I should go back and edit and rewrite it or just leave it. What do you all think?

~RiggsPie xoxox