Chapter Thirty-One

Kaitlyn's POV

After we've eaten some of the food we picked, we decide to start walking. Rick set a few snares yesterday, so we double back and check them. As we do, we come across a railway track and follow it for a bit. There's an abandoned train car a few miles down. Someone has written on it.

Sanctuary for all

Community for all

Those who arrive, survive.

Terminus.

I raise my eyebrow. "What d'you think?" I ask.

"I think we should try for it, first thing in the morning." Michonne speaks.

"Yeah, it's getting dark out, and it's freezing. We should find somewhere to camp. We should stick to the road." Rick says.

We walk for about 30 minutes before we find an abandoned car. "We should stay here. It's shelter." I say. Rick builds a small fire.

"You two go get some sleep, you look dead on your feet. Kaitlyn, you haven't slept. Go, " my mum says. Carl and I walk to the car and no one had bothered to lock it. He opens the door and I climb in. There's a picnic blanket in the back and Carl pulls it on top of us. I move closer to him to heat up. I drift off a little to the flicker of the fire and the beat of Carl's heart.

What feels like a moment later, the door is yanked open and Carl is dragged out. Almost simultaneously, the door on my side is opened and I am pulled out too. I clear the bleariness from my eyes to see that my mother, Michonne, Carl and I are all being held by a group of middle-aged men. A familiar face is among this group. Daryl.

"You killed one of my men. I'm gonna start with the kids. Then the women. And you're gonna have to watch, then it'll be your turn. Slow and painful." The large, menacing, white hair and bearded man terrorizes Rick. I realize that he's talking about the guy Rick killed in the house.
"That guy came at him. It was self-defence." I say. The man who is restraining me hits me across the face.
"Shut up."

Carl and I are pushed into the middle of the circle that has now formed. "Since you two were getting so cuddly in there," the ringleader says, gesturing at the car, "Lets see what you got." I look at him with steely eyes. "Take your shirt off."

"No." I say. The man who was holding Carl, grabs him again and presses a knife to his throat.

"Do it, or he's dead." My eyes widen in horror.

"No, don't. Please." Carl says. The guy that pushed me, rips the shirt from my back, leaving me standing in the cold with only my tattered bra.

"Now the bra," the leader says.

"No." I say, refusing to give him the satisfaction. The other man pushes Carl to the ground, dropping the knife. He pushes himself on top of Carl who squirms under his grips. He looks at me with those leery eyes.

"The bra." the leader persists.

"I love you." I say looking at Carl. I begin to unhook the clasp.

"No!" Daryl says, pressing forward.

"What was that?" the leader turns. Two more of the men begin to beat Daryl. Rick takes this opertunity to headbutt the leader and a gunshot rings. The man stumbles backwards, nose bleeding. Rick looks disoriented and the leader attacks him. Rick punches him in the face, sending him to the ground.

While he does this, I pull a knife from my belt, turn and launch in into the throat of the man behind me. When I turn back, I see that Rick has ripped the throat of the leader out with his teeth. The fighting has come to a hault and Daryl throws a punch at one of the men beating him.

Michonne slaps the gun from one of the men's hand, then he slaps her across the face. She catches the gun and shoots him in the head. She then turns and shoots one of the guys who are fighting with Daryl.

Daryl knocks the other man to the ground. "Kaitlyn!" he yells tossing me his leather vest, which I slip over my partially unhooked bra. My mother turns and stabs the man behind her in the gut with her "hand".

"No one ever hurts my baby girl!" she says, as he falls to the ground. Daryl stomps the other man's head, crushing his skull with his muscular leg.

The last man left is the one who grips Carl.

"I'll kill him! I will!" he shouts. "Stay back!"

"You're severely outnumbered!" I almost scream. "Let him go!" Rick pulls a machete from the dead leader's belt.

"He's mine," he says as he starts towards the man. The man drops his knife and lets Carl go.

"Please! Please, no!" the man backs away. Carl crawls to Michonne, who grips him tightly. Rick drives the machete into the man's abdomen and cuts up and up and up.