Chapter Seventeen

My mother is sitting behind a tree, hugging her knees, as we get past the fences. Rick is the one to go and get her. I can't think, my body is working automatically. I can't tell her. I won't be the one to tell her that she'll never see her little girl again.

Rick helps her to her feet and they rely on each other. I slip Sammy's doll into my bag. I am the only one with any supplies. I have some dried fruit and a half empty bottle of water. We have lots of weapons though. Carl and Rick both have guns and a knife each. My mum has two knives, a gun and her sword. And, I have Michonne's sword, my gun, five knives, three in my bag, one in my belt and one in my shoe. I also have a box full of ammunition for my gun.

We all seem pretty prepared. I give Rick and Carl another knife each. We walk in silence, and we just keep walking. I rip the sleeves from the shirt that I borrowed from Carl earlier and tie one around Rick's wound on his leg, then I tie the other around my arm. There isn't an exit wound on mine, so I'll have to dig the bullet out later.

As we walk, I realise that my mother is wounded. "What happened?" I ask quietly. "Tell me you weren't bitten."

"No. No. I wasn't bitten. I was stabbed, by one of the Governor's men. He only clipped my side, but I killed him. I guess we've all killed now." she says. Her eyes widen. "Where's your sister? Where's Sammy? How could I have been so stupid to forget about my own daughter!" she cries. I look at the ground. I can't.

"I'm so sorry," says Rick, "We found this beside Judith's car seat." He pulls the bloodied princess doll from my ruck sack. "Judith is gone too." A tear rolls down his face, and I realise that my mum and Rick are going through the same thing. Carl and I are too. He is about 20 yards in front of us. "Carl!" I call. "Wait up!" He doesn't slow down, so I jog to catch up. "Hey," I say. "We can talk about it if you want. Or we can talk about something else. Anything else." I say. I hope he wants to talk about something else. I don't really want to talk about Sammy. It hurts too much. But he doesn't say anything, he just keeps walking. I try and entwine my fingers with his, but he shakes me off. "I'm sorry, I just..." I trail off. He doesn't care.

"Carl! Slow down!" Rick shouts. He catches us up and lays a hand on Carl's shoulder. Carl looks at him blankly and shrugs the hand off of his shoulder. We carry on walking for about another hour or so, then we come across what looks like a bar. Rick and Carl get their guns ready while Mum and I have our swords ready. My arm hurts but I barely even notice. When we enter, we notice a barricade made of furniture, chairs tables, etc. and then an undead arm reaches out for us. I find the perfect angle and stab it in the head. We listen, searching for more moans. We are met with stony silence. We accumulate any possible supplies, and store them in the thin shopping bag that Carl found.

We then carry on down the road that we were on.