Chapter Twenty

I awaken about an hour later and Carl is still awake, staring at Rick who hasn't moved an inch since Carl was shaking him earlier. "Hi," I say, and he doesn't answer. "Carl," I say a little louder.

"What? Sorry. Hi," he says, kissing the top of my head.

"We should go on a run. Or just out." I say to him. He nods. I get up, shaking the pins and needles from my leg. I pick up my gun and tuck a knife into my belt, plus another into my shoe. Carl does the same. I don't have the strength for swinging a sword today. We go upstairs and climb out of the window onto the lower roof, so that we don't have to open the door. A few walkers have gathered outside, probably because of Carl's outburst earlier. Carl jumps down from the roof, and he helps me down. We lead the walkers away and I stab a few. Two follow Carl and another comes stumbling out from behind him. I go to help him but as I do, a pair of hands reach out with a dry grip and I spin round, knife in hand.

I can't get a good angle to stab it, so I hit it with my gun over and over again, so that it falls to the ground. It grabs my leg, so that I fall too. I kick it in the face repeatedly. I notice a Walmart nametag that reads 'My name is WENDY. How may I help you today?' Focus, I tell myself. Now is not the time for noticing, it is the time for surviving. I kick and kick and kick. I somehow free my knife from my belt and stab 'Wendy', or what used to be Wendy, in the temple.

When I manage to get up, freeing myself from the walker's grip. I hear three gunshots. I run to find Carl and he's trapped beneath three dead walkers. Pulling them off of him, I help him to his feet. "Are you okay," I squawk. "Were you bit? Scratched? Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine. Better now you're here." he says, pulling me in for a kiss. "Let's go."

We walk a few houses down the street, and we pick one to head into. Carl has his thin shopping bag, and we look around for any supplies. He finds a 112 ounce tin of chocolate pudding. "Jackpot!" he says, and I smile. We go upstairs and look around some more. I find some more books. Carl opens the door to another room. He is just about to walk in when a walker comes staggering towards him. I watch as it heads towards us. As it moves, it notices me and changes direction. "Hey!" Carl yells at it, making it turn around and follow him again. He runs to another room and I realise that his gun is lying on the floor beside me. I hear a smash, then a bump. I run to Carl, and he is on the floor. The walker is clawing at his shoe. I stomp on it's head, knocking it off of Carl. I pull him to his feet and we run out of the room, closing the door behind us. I notice that Carl's shoe isn't on his foot. He picks up a piece of chalk and begins to write something on the door.

'Walker inside. Got my shoe. Didn't get me."