Chapter Twelve

Thanks guys for 107 reads, and 3 votes. Here's the next chapter.
~RiggsPie xoxox
______________________________________

We are awakened by my mum, yelling at us. Oh no. She actually thinks something happened. She drags me and Carl down from my bunk. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" She screams. A crowd has gathered outside our cell.

"Well, I'm gonna go for breakfast," Carl says, slinking out of the cell. Everyone outside is enjoying the drama. It's probably the closest they've seen to a soap opera since the shit hit the fan.

"Can we talk outside. Actually outside," I say gesturing at the door. We walk out. Well, mum walks, I am dragged. We stand at the back of the prison. "Nothing happened!" I finally say.

"Sure. Of course you did. I'm having you moved out of that cell," she threatens.

"No, you're not, 'cause nothing happened. I swear to God, nothing happened. I do know better than that." I rage. I can't believe what she's saying. Or that she doesn't trust me, after everything. "Good to know that you have that much faith in me. You trust Sammy more."

"Well Sammy didn't sleep with a boy she just met. Or lie to me." She yells.

"I didn't do anything! We just slept!" I say over and over again. I go to storm off.

"Where do you think you're going?" my mother demands.

"You won't listen. I bet Carl isn't getting the same treatment off of his dad, so I'm going to give Sammy her gift. See you later," I say in an angry tone. Hear her calling on me but I don't look back. Keep your head held high. My father's voice echoes through my mind. I haven't thought about him properly for a long time. I know his words weren't about mum, but they seem relevant at this moment in time. He would've listened to what I had to say. Of course he'd be disappointed but he'd give me a chance to explain. I miss my dad.

I duck into my cell to get Sammy's gifts. I feel the tears start to come and I sit on Carl's bed. Before I know it I'm sobbing. Maggie passes my cell and does a double take when she sees me. "What's up hon'," she asks sweetly. Her accent comforts me a little as it feels soothing to hear. "Still bothered about your mom and Carl?"

"Well, yes and no. Talking to my mum made me think of something my dad always said. He always said, "Keep your head held high". I know it shouldn't apply to my mum, but it just rang in my mind when she acted the way she did." I say in between sobs. "I miss home and my family and everyone I loved."

"Oh sweetie. We all do, but right now you don't get to show it. You have to just be grateful that you, your mom and Sammy are alive. So what happened with you and Carl?" she asks.

"Nothing, I swear." I say. "We just slept." Maggie believes me.