Chapter Twenty-Four

Kaitlyn's POV

Rick has to talk to Michonne privately so Carl and I sit on the stairs together and for a while everything is quiet. We can hear Michonne and Rick mumbling and the sound of my mother's soft snores. I rest my head on Carl's shoulder. "Y'know what I miss?" I say.

"What?" he answers.

"Well, lots of things, but music and singing and school are mainly what I think about. I don't miss the homework or being told that I'd never amount to anything, just because of who my family were, but I miss the simpleness of life. I'd go to school, learn, go home and then I'd hang out with my friends, or family or Seb." My voice breaks when I say his name. It still hurts to think of him but Carl's here now. To soften the blow.

"Yeah, I get what you mean. Hey, you sing?" he says.

"I used to."

"Wanna sing me something?" Carl asks.

"I can't. I used to sing for Sammy and it hurts. I can't. I'm sorry." I say, wiping a tear from my cheek.

"It's okay. Come here." Carl puts his arms around me again. He's been doing it a lot lately. He's always there for me.

"I love you Carl." I whisper into his neck.

"I love you too." He tilts my face upwards. "I love you." I kiss him, until Rick calls.

"Kaitlyn, can you come down here." Why does he want me? I think.

"I'll be right back," I say to Carl. I walk downstairs and Michonne passes me on her way up. "What's up?" I ask Rick.

"I want you to take a look at my leg. And stitch it up, or cauterize it."

"Sure, but I don't really know what I'm doing. It's all trial and error." I say.

"Well you done pretty good with your arm, and the bullet isn't in my leg. I'd prefer you to stitch it, if that's okay."

"Yeah. Hold on." I go get the needle and thread from the kitchen, where it was left when I fixed my arm. I sterilize the needle and get to work. Rick doesn't even wince when I begin.

I take my time, trying not to hurt him. When I'm finished, I place a bandage over the wound. "I never got the chance to thank you." Rick says quietly.

"What are you talking about? You said thanks a while ago." I say shrugging.

"No, I mean with Carl and everything. You've been really good for him, y'know?" he says. "He's been so much happier since he met you, and Michonne told me the way you two were, that very first day. I'm glad he has you." Rick tells me.

"Thank you, that's actually really good to know." I smile at him and leave the room. Carl is still sitting where I left him, but he's dozing off, leaning on the railing. He looks so peaceful and I can't help but kiss his cheek. He stirs at that point, his eyelids flickering. "Hey," he says kissing me. "What was my dad wanting?" He interlaces his fingers with mine.

"I stitched up his leg. He told me that he was happy that you had me." I smile looking at Carl. I don't ever want to let him go.

_________________________________

Sorry it's short! I'll try to update more. :) :)

~RiggsPie xoxox