Chapter 3

She says she loves me
Alleluia
My baby loves me
Alleluia
......Alleluia by Johnny Drille ft Simi

Catherine
6:50PM

Catherine was already done with her makeup and was already slipping into the electric bulb print Ankara, it was a sleeveless gown that hugged every part of her body. Dike would arrive in 10 minutes and she wouldn't like to keep him waiting. The gown looked just perfect to her and as she gazed on her reflection on the mirror, something glistered brightly and Catherine traced her hands to her neck, the blue diamond necklace, she was not ready to take it off, it looked just perfect with the blue clutch bag she was taking along.

Suddenly she felt guilty for unknown reasons, he had asked her to wait, he told her he was coming back, was she being unfaithful? But then she brushed the thoughts off her mind, he promised he would be back after 4 years but it was already 9 years, it seemed he was even a closed chapter for his family too. He was the one at fault and she was going to move on with her life.

A brief knock from the door and Catherine straightened her dress,picked her clutch bag and went to open it, she knew it would be Dike and of course,Dike was at the door with a charming smile and a single rose which he gave her. He was dressed in a blue tuxedo that suited him perfectly. Catherine could see he was checking her out and he seemed impressed.

"You look beautiful as always Ifunnaya" Dike complimented grinning like a young school boy who fell in love with the most popular girl in class.

"Thank you Dike and you look dashing as well" Catherine returned the compliment and then Dike linked arms with hers and led her to his Range Rover, Catherine was not surprised he could afford it, he had a well paying job and his dad happened to be one of the richest top shots in the society.

The ride was barely 30 minutes and throughout the ride,they were both quiet which was quite awkward and Catherine couldn't wait to get to the place.

Dike had brought her to Lovers Garden, a special restaurant for only couples, people could be seen going in twos, the place was topnotch.

"What do you want to eat?"Dike asked as he flipped  through the menu that was designed like a heart.

"Jollof rice and plantain" Catherine answered, jollof rice was her favourite anytime. The interior decor of Lovers Garden was quite exquisite, nice chandeliers with neon light, each table had only two chairs and the tables were covered with royal blue clothes and the floor was sparkling.

The waiter soon arrived with their order and placed a big plate at the middle of the table.

"Where is your own meal?"Catherine asked

"Well in this restaurant, we both have to eat from the same plate" Dike explained smiling.

It was actually nice eating from the same plate with him, unlike her,Dike was quite neat while eating and didn't drop any particle on the table.

After the meal, they both talked about a lot of things, Catherine discovered Dike was the 3rd child and only boy and he had a passion for singing.

"I don't fancy Nigerian songs" Dike started " They are total bullshit and crap, the lyrics are zero and I wonder what people understand from such songs" he said before sipping his drink.

"Please please please, don't insult Nigerian songs,they aren't bullshit and have you sat down to listen to good ones, Nigerian songs have gone international to tell you how dope they are" Catherine countered

"Common foreign songs are better and they make a whole lot of sense" Dike argued

"Are you done talking, tell me Dike are you done talking?" Catherine sang from Fall by Davido

Suddenly the duo went quiet and Dike reached out for her hands on the table and clasped it in his palm.

"Catherine,the only thing I just want to tell you is that I fell for you from the very first day and I fell really hard and you make me fall harder day by day, I want you to be mine Catherine cos I love you so much, much more than you can imagine Catherine, so please Catherine, be my girlfriend" He proposed, Catherine could see the plea in his eyes begging her to give a positive response.

"I've heard you Dike and my answer is yes" Catherine told him and she felt a pang in her chest, it was guilt again, what if he was suffering or something terrible but then her mind chastised her, he was still keeping touch with his family after all.

"Are you OK Catherine?" Dike asked affectionately seeing that her mood had changed

"Yup, just remembered something" she said putting on a smile.

Dike later paid for dinner and they both went outside
"Thank you so much for accepting Catherine" Dike said taking her small hands into his.

The drive home was quiet again, Dike was playing Shape of you by Ed Sheeren and singing along, his voice was just normal. When Dike had stopped Catherine right in front of her house, he opened the door for her and brought her down gently.

"Goodnight D" Catherine waved but Dike drew her back and before Catherine would process what was happening, his lips were already on hers,no sparks, no fireworks,no warm feeling, just a kiss.

"You don't know how long I've being dreaming of doing that" Dike said after breaking the kiss. Catherine gave him a little smile before going in, had she made a mistake by accepting Dike?