Chapter 10

No kissing baby
No touching baby
No kissing by Patronking ft Sarkodie

Catherine
6:00pm
(Unedited)

Going to the market was probably one of Catherine's hobby, apart from the fact that she loved bargaining a lot with the market women,she also found the market an interesting place for sweet gossips and gists. She successfully parked her car before walking into the large market.

"Sister watin you won buy na" A market woman beckoned her but Catherine only smiled,the woman sold vegetables but they weren't looking fresh at all.

"Fine aunty,crayfish dey,ogbono dey,egusi dey,special fish imported from England" Another person cojoled

"Haba" Catherine exclaimed,she didn't know whether to burst into laughter,the woman who had said it was a dark skinned woman,she looked around 40 and had a mark on her face. A scarf was tied around her waist and her hair was quite old.

"Let me see the imported fish from England"Catherine said and the woman only smiled. It was quite hilarious because it was just smoked fish.

"How much is it?" Another voice asked behind her, Catherine turned around and saw the least person she expected.

"Na 10,000 for one basket" The woman said

Without haggling or any long talks,he brought out his wallet from his pocket

"What are you trying to do?"Catherine asked the handsome man drapped in caftan

"What does it look like am about to do?" George questioned back with a smile

"I really appreciate but I can pay for myself"Catherine protested vehemently

"Allow me Miss"George pleaded with his eyes
"For old times sake"

He paid the woman and collected the items for Catherine. He followed her and soon the market women were cooing them

"See as they fine"

"Chai,they go born fine children"

"Fine people"

Catherine was clearly embarrassed but George was enjoying the praises showered on them.

After buying everything,he led Catherine to her car

"So why are you here?"she asked him, she was surprised George could come to a market

"I just came here to pick some items for Melody"

Catherine face fell,she knew she had felt too comfortable with George,she tried hard not to show her displeasure

"That's nice,I'll be on my way now"

"Ok,stay safe Catherine" His gaze lingered on her for a while before he cleared his throat.

Catherine nodded, hopped into her car and then drove off

****
Catherine was sitting in a lit up hall dressed in a blue dinner gown courtesy of Dike.

So Melody her arch enemy and business rival was throwing a party to celebrate the opening of a new branch and  she had invited Dike who persisted that they attended the event.

"Dike must I really tag along" She had protested

"Yes babe,I want to show the world the amazing woman I've got"He beamed.

Catherine had a thousand and one reason not to be in that party and the number reason was now standing in front of the table,his hands linked around Melody's waist. He was dressed in a nice tuxedo,it was black and it seemed to match perfectly with the black gown Melody was wearing....couple goals.

"Hey guys,I trust you are enjoying the party?"Melody asked,a huge smile plastered on her face, Catherine could see through it,it was nothing but a plastic one.

"Yes,its a nice event. Congratulations on achieving this feat"Dike was also wearing a smile as he spoke. Catherine only stared at them,she was not a fan of fake smiles.

The two guys excused themselves at that juncture and Melody took her seat beside Catherine. She opened a bottle of wine and poured herself some drink.

"I heard you once dated George in high school"Melody started, Catherine didn't know if it was a question so she kept quiet.

"You know,I was never a fan of high school love,teenage love and all that shit,it's childish and it doesn't last" She took another sip and twirled the content

"Well  am now his girlfriend and we will be getting married soon"Melody announced

Catherine smirked,two can certainly play this game

"Oh really,that's great news. Congratulations"She said and gave her best smile

"Thanks dear, you'll certainly be my chief bride's maid"Melody pushed again

"No problem"Catherine replied and watched as Melody left. Catherine was boiling,no she was enraged,her clutched fist was threatening to break and downed 3 glasses of the wine at once.

Dike returned and it was time to dance, everyone held on to their partner,Dike held her waist and brought her closer to himself.

"Are you ok?"He asked, concern evident in his voice

"Yeah"

Despite trying so hard, Catherine could not withstand the tempation of looking at George and Melody,they seemed lost in their worlds,so perfect together,so good that it stung Catherine.

***
George

Blue certainly looked good on Catherine,the gown accented every curves she had,he wanted baldly for her to gaze at him even for once but she really acted like he was no longer existing

"Can you at least respect the fact that we are dancing and we are in a relationship and stop looking at her at any chance you get?"Melody asked in a brittle voice.

It was her whole advice for them to wear watching clothes and she really sounded angry.

"Melody you and I know that we are not in a relationship,left to me I'll not be here with you"George told her bluntly

"Well thank God you have no choice,my love will sustain both of us"She told him before taking a sip.

An artiste was on the stage performing,the young man with a baby face,three cornrows plaited and a tiny cross earrings,yes,Rema.

"I mean I don't understand,what does she have that I don't have,am hot,am beautiful,am hardworking, rich,popular,I can cook,what exactly do you want?" She asked him

"You are not Catherine"George replied and though her face fell she covered it up with a smile

"Be it known to you George,that if I can't have you,then she can't"Melody locked eyes with him. George didn't know if she just said it out of anger or she meant it but he didn't utter a word.

***
Sorry for not updating for some time,I just had little problems. Actually I wrote this book in my notebook, since I school at Enugu,I had to go back home for the break and I forgot the book in school and am at home, trying to recall and follow the pattern.

So pardon me and bear with me.
Thank you🌹