Chapter 3

Afaaf Khan

Afaaf Khan

I glared murderously at the man seeing him return the expression. Looking away from him, I folded my arms against my chest. It was a local train with an overflood of peoole. A woman had been kind enough to make some space on her seat that already had three other women sitting. Men stood, holding the stand and so Zaryaab had too followed them. 

Closing my eyes momentarily, I thought of where my life was leading me. I did not even know of my next destination. My next stop. Why was I even with a man I knew not of. The guilt was heavy on my shoulders. Becoming a boulder slowly. 

What would Amma be doing? She must be very angry with me. Shaya would probably be giving her explanation on why I did , what I did. Why I ran away from home. I didn't need to think of abba, as I was very sure he would have started to hunt me with officer Saim. If only I could change everything, but how much would I have changed. Amma was never able to change Abba , so how could I change him. How could this act of me change him. Abba would never change.

An uncomfortable stare had me turning to look at the man who stood quiet near to me. Dressed in shalwar kameez he had a beard and a sick smile on his face as he stared at me making me feel very uneasy. Looking away from him, I looked at Zaryaab seeing him stare at the man angrily. 

A light brush to my knee had me tensing. Looking up at the sick man. I saw him winking at me. The saliva in my mouth dried. As a shiver ran down my spine. With rugged breaths , I moved my knee away. 

A loud growl and an angry deep voice made me look up at Zaryaab as he cursed a foreign language out probably Pashto on the sick man, making him back away and scurry. Making way through the three men between us, Zaryaab now came to stand by my side. His green eyes flickering to mine for a minute before he looked away. 

A sense of protection, clouded around me and I leaned against the cushion of the seat. Breathing out a sigh of relief.

I had called this upon myself by running away.

Stop blaming yourself Afaaf. What is done is done now. You cannot undone it so try to live with it now.

I felt tears brimming my eyes. Making me run a hand down my face. Looking down at my red suit, anger rushed through my veins. If only one thing I had in control was to never forgive Murad for what he did to me.

A sudden push had my back slamming against the seat, as the train whistled loudly and noisely. The impact had Zaryaab coming down on me. My breath hitched as his hand landed on the seat just above my head, his once towering body now leaning over me. His face remained inches away from me making my eyes widen. 

We stilled.

And froze.

And time waited.

His green eyes were wide as stared down at me. He was so close that I could count all of his lashes. The vein popping in his forehead and the messed hair falling over his forehead. I looked away feeling heat flood through my skin. Seconds turned into one minute and as I turned my eyes to the woman besides me seeing her look at me crazily, Zaryaab pulled away taking his former position. Making me breath out.