Chapter 28

آغازِ عشق بهی کیا خوب تھا غالب کیا کہوں'پہلے دل لگی تھی, پھر دل کو جا لگی -Afaaf

پہلے دل لگی تھی, پھر دل کو جا لگی -
Afaaf

That plead of Zaryaab was so gut wrenching that I could travel through oceans and surf on glaciers, and run in the jungles to take away his pain. In any form and element it was possible.

His desperate words had caused an explosion inside my body as I hugged him to my chest that night till he fell asleep in my arms. But he had left this stinging feeling inside of me, that made me question myself.

Why would I challenge life for him?

Why would I do just anything to see him in peace and ease for once?

Why?

Something was just so stronger this time, urging me to accept it. Yet I remained disheveled between reality and fairytale. A fairytale I had never lived.

Easily walking towards the hall, I saw it filled with various bouquets. Frowning, I bend to Dadi Gul Jan's level seeing the woman wearing spectacles as she set some roses in a large vase.

" Where did we get these from?"

The strong smell of roses, lilies, peonies and Jasmine's filling the large hall. Making me reach towards a bouquet of white roses and smell them. The fresh petals lively and shining.

The hazel eyed woman smiled at me, her glasses on the tip of her nose now.

" The people of Swat brought these for your husband. Welcoming him back home."

I nodded.

The hall looked like a nursery filled with so many flowers all around.

" Where is Zaryaab?" I asked filling a glass with water. Dadi Gul Jan snickered like a teenager before tiptoeing to the large windows making me softly follow behind her.

Outside in the patio, the therapist helped my husband with the crutch and then with the movement in his lower extremity. But Zaryaab was restless and irritated as he scolded the young therapist yet again. Making me and Dadi Gul Jan share a small laugh.

" That poor man is going to lose his mind in some days if he works with Zaryaab." Dadi Gul Jan said moving away from the window.

I could see it was hard for Zaryaab, and the therapist as well. Zaryaab was more grumpier now and he'd snap at anyone. The fact that Jahan's health and recovery had not sped up, caused immense stress to Zaryaab. The man would go and sit for hours in the hospital. And talk to the unconscious man.

One day, Zaryaab and I had spent the day at the hospital with Jahan and seeing him sleep so peacefully made me guilty. When I couldn't stand him lying so still, I barged into the doctor's room.

" We are trying our best, but it seems that he doesn't wants to come back to life."

This was what Jahan's neurologist said. And it had made me shudder. Jahan's parents were back in Swat. His father was stoic but one glance at his son, he was crumbling. His mother had soft features and looking at the woman cry would only make it all very emotional.