Chapter 17

Zaryaab

Zaryaab

"- well I don't think that it's a bad idea." Mahzala squealed.

Dadi Gul Jan nodded her head, understanding some of the things the young woman was saying.

We were sitting at the breakfast table. Grandfather had excused himself as he went to read his newspaper and Jahan had left whilst Mahzala had greeted us early morning. Feeding very stupid ideas to Dadi Gul Jan.

" Hm. I get it now. What do you think Zaryaab?" My grandmother asked me, making me place the cup on saucer as the two women stared at me with hopeful eyes.

I shook my head, wiping my hands.

" There's no need for a Valima." I said in finality keeping the current situation in my head.

" Ohm, why not?" Dadi Gul Jan's hazel eyes clashed with mine as she leaned back on the chair.

Afaaf came in with a tray of tea as she served Dadi Gul Jan. Her eyes were casted downwards, her hair tied in a braid, resting behind her back. I had noticed the tension between my grandmother and wife.

" We have such a big family, how would I tell them about your marriage. That you went and got married behind our back. At least there should be a Valima so that it becomes official." Dadi Gul Jan continued and I noticed as Afaaf gave me a quick glance before she averted her eyes.

" Yes, so finally its final." Mahzala squealed one last time as she stood up from her place and hugged the living day lights out of Afaaf.

Afaaf smiled politely.

" Oh I have something for you." Mahzala rushed out of the room and returned in a second, a big bouquet in her hands.

" There" she grinned at Afaaf as she offered the flowers to her. I stared at the exchange between the two women as my wife whispered a 'thank you'. The two easily falling in a conversation as I stood up from my chair and left the room.

Walking past the white pillars, I easily approached my awaiting car, seeing the guards nod as I walked past them. In a few seconds, I was on the roads of the city.

Upon reaching the familiar building of my office, I found Jahan already in the building, looking through some papers.

" Do you want me to talk to Dad about a new lawyer?" He asked. His amber eyes plain and dull, the dark circles prominent.

" Yeah, we have to do something about this shit." I stated frustrated at the fact that we had lost a very sincere person. Uncle Suleman.

" I'll ask Dad then." He said quietly his eyes moving to the window. It gave the view of the snow capped mountains of the northern region.

" Dadi Gul Jan wants to have a Valima." I groaned running a hand through my hair.

Jahan stiffened, his posture turning as he looked out. Masking his emotions. I knew him very well. He chuckled at last, a smile tugging his lips.