Chapter 18

Afaaf

Afaaf

Everything was made out of perfection.

Starting from the floral decoration of the haveli to the aroma of live barbeque, going on from clattering of utensils to the sounds of drum. Shouts and giggles of children and at last stopping on my attire. Music was blastings, playing all merry pashtun songs, about which I knew nothing.

I was utterly cold. Nervous and shaky.

I hadn't moved from my spot from the past two hours as Mahzala did my makeup and hair. My eyes looking at my features through the mirror. From the noises outside, I knew that the guests were already here. And it wouldn't be long when I would be called outside.

Norie was emotional- plus esctastic. She was jumping up and down besides Mahzala as the two women giggled from time to time, daydreaming about how colourful marrying was.

Dadi Gul Jan was happy for me. She would barge in every now and then, sometimes bringing juice or fruits while sometime only coming up to check on me. She was worried about me, I could see it in her eyes.

Mahzala murmured something in Pashto as she clipped my headpiece in place.

" Come on, I'll help you up." She said as she held my hand and pulled me out of the comfy cushion chair.

The heavy skirt brushed my bare feet as I walked to the full length mirror. My maxi dress was dull gold and champagne. Covered in tiny embellishments of matching with sequins and tiny champagne stones that ran from the neckline till the bottom of the dress, covering all of the fabric. The sleeves were full, clinging to my skin. Whilst the long dupatta was dipped in light flower embroidery. With a thick border of stoned embroidery.

My makeup looked natural. Eyes in shimmering dull gold and dark lipstick. I liked that my face didn't look caked up. Highlighter adding the sharpness to my features.  My jewellery was heavy, made in intricate design. The headpiece was the most beautiful, it was round and big that covered by forehead and the thin chain disappearing in the partitioned hair. Tiny white beads hanging from the jewellery. My hair were partitioned from the middle and closed in a bun. Turning to the woman, I smiled softly at her.

Mahzala was one of a kind. Beautiful and soft hearted. Her model like figure sported a rich purple and light green dress with shimmer silver eyes.

I strapped my sandals as Norie came in.

" It's time." Her words had my heart racing. Mahzala nodded as she clipped her bracelet.

When we stepped out of the guest room, my feet almost gave up hearing the voices echoing around the large haveli. My mehndi clad hands becoming shaky as I looked at the beautiful decoration. The white pillars had trails of flowers wrapped around them, the railing of the stairs having bunched flowers decorating them. Everything looked magnificent and I was amazed. Everything screàmed of royalty.