Chapter 36

اسی انتظار کی ریت پرکوئی لفظ میں نے لکھا نہ تھاکوئی خواب میں نے چنا نہ تھااسی انتظار کی ریت پرمیری آرزوؤں کے گلاب تھےمیری جستجو کے سراب تھےسبھی چاہتوں کے جواب تھےتیری چاہتیں وہ کہاں گئیںمیرے ہمنشیں، میرے ہمسفرمیں بکھر گیا ہوں ہواؤں میںمجھے یاد رکھ...

کوئی لفظ میں نے لکھا نہ تھا
کوئی خواب میں نے چنا نہ تھا
اسی انتظار کی ریت پر
میری آرزوؤں کے گلاب تھے
میری جستجو کے سراب تھے
سبھی چاہتوں کے جواب تھے
تیری چاہتیں وہ کہاں گئیں
میرے ہمنشیں، میرے ہمسفر
میں بکھر گیا ہوں ہواؤں میں
مجھے یاد رکھنا دعاؤں میں

Zaryaab

The pigeon.

They reminded me of her. Of her laughter and smile and her hands, as she'll hold mine and walk with me for hours. Talking about whatever she wanted about. But then again what did not remind of her.

She was the fucking air I breathed.

I stared at the white birds all around me. Today when they'd fly, they won't come back home. Because this wasn't home anymore. Without her, it wasn't. The birds, they weren't even happy to see me after so many days. They weren't even talking to me. And seeing this behavior of them, I smiled.

They were taking her revenge from me. At least I would endure every zulm from her.

The setting sun casted it's rays upon the land and flashed the last remnants of light on us before the darkness would take over it's throne. Heavy footsteps sounded and I turned my eyes to see the man march towards me.

He grabbed my collar and growled loudly. The action scaring the birds as they flew.

" If you leave Afaaf, I'll marry her, Zaryaab!" He growled.

I pushed him away from me. Shoving his shoulder. This time leaping forward and holding his collar.

" Don't you dare!" I scowled. The fire in his softened down and he shook his head.

" Then don't leave her Zaryaab!"

I pushed away from him and turned around. Leaning against the wall, I swallowed sharply down my throat and looked around the green land surrounding us.

" She would die without you." The man leaned besides me.

" She won't!" I tried to convince the better part of my mind. But my heart was betraying me.

" I saw her. I went to her doorsteps to give those papers, Zaryaab! I fucking know." He half shouted. The pain lining his voice.

I ran a hand through my hair before rubbing it down my eyes. My jaw clenching as the mist starting to gather in my eyes.

" How was she?" I wanted to know. To desperately know how she was surviving. How did she look without me.

" She was barely alive, barely breathing. Her eyes were sunkin in her skin. She looked pale and weak. Her mother had taken her to the doctor, Zaryaab!"