Chapter Nine • Baby It's You

Things were really getting rough, getting tired of acting like I was tough, I just had enough. Then you came along, and you sang your song, and you made my day, in your special way. And I knew, that baby it's you.

—————

~ A H M A D ~

—————

When the door creaked open, that sweet scent of hers spread through out the room and it only intensified with each step she took towards my bed. I heard the clinking of something ceramic against the cupboard by my left and I knew it was the "something hot" she told Harrison that I needed to drink when she ordered him as if she was my bodyguard.

I couldn't help imagining how she had squared up to Harrison as she did that and how cute she must've looked. Though by the gravity of her voice, she was extremely distraught but I still imagine she looked adorable and I really hope she wasn't looking my way cause if she was, she would have seen the stupid grin that was on my face as I kept on imaging her showdown with Harrison.

I had heard everything. Though I felt like my head weighed a ton and the ground beneath me was sinking, I had stayed conscious all through. Probably because I didn't want Asiya to see me in an even more pathetic state than I already was.

After she had dropped the cup, she gave Harrison another set of orders and I knew she was preparing to leave. My heart gripped to every word she said and just as she said that last sentence, I felt a part of me missing, I felt incomplete and vulnerable, I felt something I didn't have words to explain, so how could I just let her go?

It was childish, selfish, pathetic, call it whatever you like but I just couldn't and so, just by pure instincts, I reached out to where I hope she was standing and when I felt that I actually grabbed her hand, a joy spread through out my heart just as a jolt of electricity traveled through my veins when I touched her.

"Stay," my voice was a breathless whisper, a desperate plea for help, "please."

Her hand in mine felt small, delicate and fragilie and of course, yellow. Just like I imagine her to be. I held it tight as if I were holding on to dear life, which I felt I was, she was.

It seemed like ages before she finally replied, her tone low and nervous, as if she couldn't quite believe what happened.

"O-okay, I will." she answers, even more breathlessly than I had asked.

Though reluctantly, I start releasing my hold, letting my hand fall back to my side. That ice rain really did a number on me, more than I'd like to admit. I still could feel the chunks of ice hitting down on me and freezing from the crown of my head, to the soles of my feet.

And yes, now I do hate rain since it's natural to hate something that almost killed you. I might be exaggerating but I really did think I was going to die out there, alone, in the rain that poured together with fucking rock hard ice.

And then during my janazah (funeral) when people asked how I died, I'll have the most pathetic cause of death; I was killed by my stupid lack of a good sense of direction as well as my arrogance to admit that I was a blind guy so I did need help and so I should just stop walking and ask people for directions but I didn't. And that was what caused me to get lost in the rain and eventually, die. They would say that, yes a plane crash couldn't finish him off but drops of rain and chunks of ice did that job cleanly. Well that was if an angel hadn't dropped straight from heaven and saved me.

At first, I thought I was hallucinating her voice calling out to me until I felt her warm hands on my shivering face. And in that moment when I opened my eyes to her, even though I couldn't see light, I felt light.