Chapter Ten • Love Someone

They're days I wake up and I pinch myself, you're with me not someone else. And I'm scared yeah, I'm still scared that it's all a dream. 'Cause you still look perfect as days go by, even the worst ones you make me smile, I'd stop the world if it gave us time.

—————

~ J A N N A H ~

—————

"Breathe in, breathe out."

Were what I kept repeating to myself to remind myself to breathe since even a simple involuntary action like that was threatening to be too much of a task for me.

Since I'd ordered it a while back,
the uber had picked me up immediately I ran out of the grand gates of Ahmad Sambo's house as if I was escaping from a prison. Which in a sense, it was, since he had kept my heart as well as my sanity caged by those last words he had said to me.

Marry me.

Marry me.

Marry me.

To make sure that I hadn't just imagined everything, I just felt like I needed to shout but since of course, I didn't want to be thrown out of the ride, I kept mum and let myself sink deeper into the back seat of the corolla.

I brought out my phone to see the tens of missed calls and text messages Maryam had sent me and I decide that I'd rather text her back instead of call her back since I didn't want her screams to chew my head off.

I was setting course for her house anyways since after all that had happened, I had felt too shaken to the core and distorted to the very root of my sanity to go back to the university. Maryam would come back to meet me there when she had gotten off from work in about three hours and I texted her to let her know that.

After I had sent the message, my phone buzzed with a beep and before I even checked, I knew it was Maryam. She had responded to my text in less than five minutes.

|mommy is at home so yeah, go on there n I'll meet u in less than 3 hours.|

|also u better hve a gud reason for missing this class n leaving all the work to me! u better hve one juicy gist or else... 😈 u already knw I be bahd gal.|

|n me that was here waiting for kidnappers to call me for ransom, u better make sure that gist is sweet enough to compensate me for all that worrying o 😡|

I smiled as well as rolled my eyes at the same time as I read the last of the three texts Maryam had sent me. With that same expression on my face, I type my own text, replying to each message individually.

|Ok, I'll make Mommy give me all of your cupcakes before you come back home mwahahaha!|

|Mtschewww, bahd gal for where? Please gurl, you cannot match my street cred and you know that 😎|

|Who told you kidnappers can come any where near me? Me that is a black belt champion? Abeg kidnappers FEAR me 😒|

|And if the gist no sweet, whatchu gonna do?|

In just a few seconds after I had sent them, Maryam had opened them and was typing a reply and I wondered how she was managing the class and texting me as well. When she sends the replies, I decided to just read them and not text back.