Chapter Seven • Wake Me Up When September Ends

Here comes the rain again, falling from the stars, drenched in my pain again, becoming who we are. As my memory rests, but never forgets what I lost, wake me up when September ends

-----

~ A H M A D ~

-----

Who even created that stupid app that let's you order rides online? If not for that nitwit, Asiya would have had agreed to my offer and I would have now been blessed with her company.

I sigh heavily as I hear the hurried clicking of her heels against the pavement and the loud slamming of the car door behind us, meaning she had entered the ride of some random uber driver and he would be the one blessed not me. I rest my head on the seat and Harrison starts moving us forward.

Today had been no doubt the best day I've had in almost three months and I see the sense in Mama's insistence that I join these classes. I met someone that I think I'll actually be comfortable being friends with. We had talked all through the lunch break and I figured that Bankoley Roland was somewhat of a cool guy. He told me how he had started getting along as a visually handicapped person two years ago when he turned blind, he told me the system he had created that somehow compensated his lack of sight and indeed, I had found everything he said incredibly helpful and inspiring.

But of course like all good things, something bad was bound to happen and obstruct the flow. And that bad thing had been talking with Maryam Jada. I wish I didn't even tell her that I knew her. I know it wasn't her intention but then, she wouldn't have rubbed it in myself how one of my mates is now a proffesor and another is a doctor while I am now just another blind guy she's tutoring as part of her parents charity program.

That stung a lot but then at least I have the highlight of my day to look back to. It was of course when Asiya had fallen on me. I didn't need to hear her voice to know that it was her. Her sweet scent was enough for me to know that I shouldn't be alarmed of feeling a weight suddenly over me from nowhere, but instead I should be thankful since it was her. I had felt her breath fanning my face and I could feel that she was petrified but I couldn't blame her since I was too.

I had felt like my heart was going to burst open and my breath had completely abandoned me. I had never felt so vulnerable and weak being close to someone like I had when I was close to her. This was nothing I'd ever want my mum to know, but I had had my fair share in hugging girls yet, none had ever affected me like Asiya just did. Even though I couldn't even see her.

And now as I sit here with a smile on my face, relishing in the scent I know is hers that still lingered on my jacket, I just know that she's special. That even though I don't deserve her, she's someone I feel in my heart that I want to try to be good enough for. And if I had to give a color and a name to this feeling, it'll be her, it will be yellow.

-----

I remember when weekends were my favorite days of the week. I remember when my weekdays used to be crowded with studying and completing my daily flight hours as well as meeting up with countless friends and attending multiple events. That was why weekends were so cherished because they were the two days I had to myself, they were the two days I had nothing to do and I could just laze around all day.

Today, a Saturday morning, I wake up with the complete opposite feeling. I hate weekends and the reason wasn't only because now, weekends were exactly the same as weekdays since I didn't have any studying talk less of any flying to do or even any friends to meet or any stupid events I was invited to. Since the accident, that was how drastically my life has changed but still, over this week, I don't dislike weekends just because of that, but because I hate the fact that I'll have to take a two day break before I could hear Asiya's voice again, before I could smell her scent again. I hate it that this morning, instead of getting ready to go to the university, I was getting ready to go to the hospital for that hopeless doctor's appointment.