Chapter Six • Arizona Sky

When I'm all choked up but I can't find the words, everytime we say goodbye baby it hurts. When the sun goes down and the bands won't play, I'll always remember us this way.

—————

~ J A N N A H ~

—————

This was no doubt the most strenuous class I've ever had. Well not that we did anything special or different but because he was here. He was here just sitting there and looking pretty, making me wonder how in the world it's possible for a person to be so perfect and that alone is enough to leave me winded.

"Close your mouth Jannah, you might swallow a fly." Maryam whispers and giggles from behind me.

After noticing that my mouth is indeed hanging open, I turned to her with a piercing gaze and all she does is laugh even more hysterically. I had to hit her to remind her that we were together in a cafeteria full of blind people, not deaf people - well apart from Bankoley Roland.

"Shut up Maryam, you sound like a dying witch."

She finally calms down and settles her elbow on my shoulder, looking at the speciman of gorgeousness I have been, as it turns out, not so secretly observing over the past four hours.

"Is it just me or has Sambo grown ten times hotter? And what's responsible? The beard or the blindness?" Maryam looks at him even harder, pointedly and in a perusing manner and I just sigh as I roll my eyes at her ridiculousness.

"I know right now you're wishing that you were that sandwich as well as that chapman." Maryam continues, pointing to Ahmad's lunch and I brush off her arm as I seat myself down on one of the tables.

Ahmad is seating a few tables away and eating his lunch, surprisingly, together with Roland. The both of them have been conversing ever since the break started half an hour ago. They probably hit it off well not only cause they're the oldest males but because they're the only ones who weren't born blind and actually knew what it was like to be sighted.

"I wonder what they could possibly be talking about with Roland, I mean what do they even have in common?" Maryam seats opposite me and I decide I've had enough of her.

I get up and start walking to the bathroom, the break was going to be over in less than half an hour anyways. But of course, I wasn't so lucky to have Maryam leave me alone and quit bugging me. She followed fast after me and though I tried to close the door to the lady's toilet immediately I entered, she pushed through and overpowered me, entering as well.

"Ugh..." I groaned, "Why are you after my life!" I face the mirror, turned on the water and start rinsing my face.

"Who's life do I have to go after if not yours?" she snickers.

I wipe my face dry with a part of my yellow veil and head out only for Maryam to follow me once again. She cornered me just as I went out of the bathroom door.

"He only said he broke his arm in the accident, so that doesn't explain why he's sitting in a wheelchair with a cast on his leg."

"Yeah it doesn't," I try to brush past her but she blocks my way. "But why do you even care?" I sigh defeatedly.

"Because I just do! Now go down there to the cafeteria and ask him how he broke his leg or whether the accident left him crippled too and he just forgot to mention it."