Chapter Two: Secrets Revealed Pt. 1

Trey POV

I was waiting for Kimberly to call me to tell me she made it home. It's 11 p.m., the party is done, and I haven't heard from her. At first, I started to get mad but now I am beginning to worry. This isn't like Kimberly at all. I called her best friend Raven and her husband Ron. The phone answered on the second ring. "Hello?" a female voice answered. "Raven??" I asked. "No, this is her sister Chucki." "Hey, Chuck. This is Trey." I heard a loud scream. I chuckled as Chucki replied, "REY-REY!!! OHMYGOD WHEN DID YOU GET OUT?!?" "I got out today thanks to Kimmy." I heard her sigh, and replied, "Aaawww. That was so nice of her. Anyway, Bro what's sup??" She asked. I sighed, and asked "Have you heard from Kimmy? She left my house around 5:30 or so, and she hadn't called me. I tried to call her but her phone is off." Chucki fell silent. I immediately knew something was wrong. For Chucki to be quiet, was not in her nature. "Chuck?" I asked. "I'm gonna let you talk to Raven. One sec." I looked at the phone confused. Now I'm really concerned cause Chucki usually tells me everything. "Lo?" I sighed. I recognized that voice anywhere. "Ray, it's Trey." "OHMYGOODNESS! REY!!!!!! When did you get home? Wait...What's wrong?" I sighed. Besides Kimmy, Raven knew something was wrong by my voice. "Um...She stays off 22nd and Nebraska next to the Lincoln Church of Jesus. You can find her there." She hung up. Something wasn't sitting with me and I'm going to figure out what it is. I got dressed and drove to the place that Raven told me. I looked and I didn't see a house. Instead, I saw a sign that says "Florida Ave. Homeless Shelter." A homeless shelter? What the hell is Kimmy doing in the homeless shelter?

Kimberly's POV

I looked at Amber laying in the bed as I ate. If you're wondering why I stay here. Well, before Trey went to jail, he paid off and an apartment for me and Amber to stay in. I kept up with the bills and everything. One day, Melissa and the police were at my door demanding that I leave and if I didn't, Amber was going to be taken away from me and I would be thrown in jail for trespassing. I grabbed a few clothes for the both of us and we walked out the door. I don't know what happened to all my other things that were in the apartment but that wasn't important. We now stay in the craziest homeless shelter in the city cause all the other ones were full. Amber and I made this place our home for the past two years now and I gotta say that I'm used to everything. Mrs. Lucy, The limited showers, the little food, the ridiculous curfews. I've been saving up to get a place of my own but rent is so expensive, just for a studio apartment. I don't even make enough for the deposit and first month's rent. I tried getting on but with my credit score being a 606 with a low 215, they never accepted me. I bet your wondering "Why haven't you told Trey?" Why should I? His friends are the reason why I'm in this mess. They know my condition why can't they tell him? I bet he already knows. This is my fight and I'm doing this my way. I lean my head back on the bed and fell asleep.

Mrs. Lucy's POV

I was working the night shift at the homeless shelter when this young man walked in. "I'm sorry sir. Check-in time is at 6 pm." I said. The young man looked determined. "I'm not here to check-in, ma'am. I'm here to look for a friend. Are these two here?" He pulls out a picture and I smiled. "Kimberly and Amber. They are my regulars." I stated proudly. The young man looked confused. "Regulars?" He repeated. "How long have they been here?" I smiled. "For the last two years. They are the brightest people I ever had to shelter. Kimberly reminds me so much like my daughter. I miss her so much, God rest her soul. Kimberly is such a hard worker. Waking up at 5 am, takes little Amber to the daycare than goes and works at the local Boys and Girls Club in Seminole Heights, then does the second shift at the local diner until 4 and then she gets little Amber and be the first ones to check-in. I..." I looked at the young man. He looked so hurt by the news that I'm giving him. "Young man, is everything alright?" The young man held his head down. "No Ma'am. I'm just upset that everything that went down the last two years that I've been gone..."

I smiled. I instantly knew who that young man is. "You must be Trey." The young man l looked shocked. "Kimberly talks about you all the time. I'm Lucy, the shelter's manager." I stretched out my hand and he takes it and shakes my hand. Firm handshake. I smile even brighter, for I knew that Kimberly is going to be in good hands. "Nice to meet you, Ms. Lucy. Can you please tell her to call me when she leaves tomorrow?" I smile. "I sure will. Nice to meet you, Trey." He smiled back at me and said, "Likewise, Ms. Lucy." He turned and left. Oh, this man is going to give her a run for her money.