Chapter Twelve: I'll Be Right Here

Trey POV

It's been two weeks since Kimberly's woke up. She has to stay in the hospital for a little while longer due to her bruises and injuries. Kimmy is one of the strongest women I know, besides my mother. Today is the day that Kimmy decides to charge Melissa with what she has done to her. The police officers that have been assigned to her case have been so busy with another case that they had to assign new people to her case. We were watching TV when a knock echoed the room. The door opened and two familiar people walked in. "Ms. Kimberly Williams??" "Yes?" Kimmy looked a little nervous, which is understandable. My name is McKinely Freeman, and this is my partner Ashley Wilson. How are you feeling?" "Better. Thank you." Kimmy replied. "I know you been through a great deal, and we have statements from your family, but can you tell us what happened?" Officer Wilson asked. Kimmy looked down at the bed. I grabbed her hand and kissed it. "It's OK, baby. I'm right here." Kimmy nods. She takes a deep breath and begins to tell her story. "I was on my way to get my daughter from Trey's house. She had been staying with him while I went to get us a place to stay. I have been staying in a homeless shelter off the corner of Lake St. and Anderson Rd. They helped me get the place that I am at now. I rode the bus and arrived at the bus stop on Washington Rd. and McKay Ave. It's two blocks away from Trey's house. I was walking down the street when I saw a car past me, make a u-turn and came to a complete stop, cutting me off." Kimmy squeezed my hand. I squeezed her hand back. Both of the officers are taking notes. "Do you remember anything about the car, Ms. Williams?" Officer Freeman asked. "Ok. So what happened after that?" Officer Wilson asked. "Words were exchanged and when I tried to walk away, Rhonda pulled my hair, and Michelle threw the first punch. I tried to fight them off, but as you can see, I wasn't very successful." Kimmy tried to joke about the situation to try to keep from breaking down and cry. I know my girl. "About the women involved...how many were there? Do you know anything about them?" Officer Wilson asked. "I only know the first names, and that they are related to Melissa...Trey, can you help me?" Kimmy asked me. "Yes, love. Crystal McKindle is Melissa's niece. Rhonda and Michelle Boxer are twin sisters and cousins of Melissa." Officer Wilson rights this down as Officer Freeman asked, "Who is Melissa?" "Melissa Anderson was my girlfriend. From the beginning of our relationship, she didn't like my friendship with Kimmy. When I went to prison, she kicked her out of the apartment I gave to Kimmy, sold her cars, I mean just doing the most, just to make Kimmy's life miserable." "Now Kimberly, this next question, I need from you. Do you want to press charges?" The room fell silent. I looked at Kimmy as she looked at Officer Wilson and Officer Freeman. "Yes. I want to press charges." She said. The officer's nod. As Officer Wilson gets the papers to sign, Officer Freeman looks at me and tilts his head toward the door. I got up from her bedside and walked out the door. "Is that the one?" Officer Freeman asked me. Officer Freeman used to be my boss in prison. "Yes, Officer Freeman." Officer Freeman chuckles. "Trey, you know outside the jail you call me McKinely." I chuckled myself. "I know...Habit..." "Well break it!" He said. "I'm glad you're by her side friend. Glad to see you're doing good." I nod my head. "Still singing??" He asked me. I looked at him. I'm surprised that he remembers that. "Yes, have a gig tomorrow night actually." "Break a leg kid." I gave him a manly hug and stepped back just as his partner walks out of the room. "Thanks again for your help, Officer Wilson." She nods her head. "My pleasure. She's a good one. Take care of her." I nod as they left. I walked back into the room to see her wiping tears from her face. I sit next to her and kiss her hand. "You did so well, baby. I'm so proud of you. How are you feeling mama?" Kimmy sighed. "Relieved," she said. A knock was on the door. Before Kimmy could say "Enter", Amber comes running into the room with Chunki and Raven behind her. She took off her shoes and craws into the bed with Kimmy, kissing her on the cheek and a hug. "How are you feeling, Mommy?" Amber asked. Kimberly rubs her hair and says, " I feel a lot better sweetheart." "Mommy, I have a question." I chuckle. This little one is too much. "What's that kiddo?" "Can I call Uncle Trey Daddy Trey?? He's the only man I ever known and I really really like him, Mommy." The room went silent as tears start to form and roll down my face. I reached out my arms to Amber and she came into them. "I would be honored...to be your Daddy Trey, Amber." "YES!" She hugs me tight as everyone wipes the tears away. "So, with that being said, when are you and Mommy gonna get together??" Kimmy blushed and looked down as I cleared my throat. Chunki and Raven laughed. Changing the subject, I said, "Now that I have everyone here, I need to make an announcement." 

Kimberly POV

We all looked at Trey awaiting his announcement. He takes a deep breath before announcing, "I got a singing gig." I screamed! I reached out my arms to hug him and he accepts the hug. "OH MY GOODNESS! TREY, DO IT!!!!!" He pulls back and looks down. "It's tomorrow night. I can wait..." "TREMAINE IF YOU DONT DO IT!" I hollered at him. Trey laughs and looks at me in my eyes. "But you won't be there..." I placed the hand that's not in an arm sling on his face. "This is your dream. Don't let my physical presence stop you from going forward." Trey looks down. "Look at me." Trey looks at me. "I may not be in attendance at this one show, but I'll always be there." I grab his face with my working arm and kissed his lips. "I'll be right here cheering you on...so you'll do it?" I asked him. He nods his head and says, "Ok. I'll do it!"