Chapter Six: A Fresh Start

Kimberly POV

I looked at Melissa and I looked at Trey. He looked defeated. "Trey..." "I'm sorry about this Kimmy. She shouldn't have talked to you like that..." Trey apologized. I looked at him and sighed. "It'll always be like this Trey. Don't let her defeat you like this. She isn't worth it." I kissed his forehead and got back to work, working at my other tables. I looked back and noticed that Trey left. I sighed and continued to work. I looked at the clock and it read 2:05. I clocked out and I headed to the bus. I got on and walked to the back. At 2:45, I pulled the string to single the driver that I needed to get off. I got off in front of Amber's daycare and waited till 3. I walked in, signed Amber out, and by 3:05, we were on our way to the homeless shelter. I thought about what Trey and I were discussing at the restaurant. I understand where he was coming from, but at the same time, I need to get on my own two feet on my own. I pulled the string to get off the bus. I was getting off the bus with Amber when I saw Trey standing at the entrance of the homeless shelter leaning against the wall. Amber runs towards Trey with her arms outstretched. "UNCLE TREY!!!!" He looks towards Amber and got on his knees to pick Amber up. "How's my baby girl doing?" "AWESOME!" Amber replied happily. I walked up to him and looked at them. He looks at me and said, 'When I said....we weren't done...that's what I meant..." I sighed. "Trey..." I began. "Kimberly, when I said I'm taking care of you and Amber, that's what I meant." I shook my head. "Trey..." "You're staying with me," Trey said. I shook my head. "I don't think that's a good idea..." "And why not?" Trey asked me. He looked at me with his famous arched eyebrow look. "If it's because of Melissa, let me tell you something right now. Melissa doesn't live with me and she doesn't run me! She can't tell me about the decisions that I make in my house." He said firmly. I looked down and sighed. He lifted my head with his index finger and stated,  "You're staying with me and that's final." I sighed defeatedly. "You were just saying that I needed a new start. It's time you had yours too. Let me help you get there...please?" I nod as he grabbed the things that I had in the shelter and we walked to his car.