Chapter Thirteen: Open Mic Night

Trey POV

I was standing behind the curtain, nervous. Here I was at the Casino for Open Mic night and I was beyond nervous and my support system wasn't there. Everyone before me was good...beyond good. The man before me, did a song that he wrote and the only part I remember was the chorus.

"Even when those hustling days are gone, she'll be by her side still holding on...and even when those twenties stopped spinning and all these gold-digging women disappear, she'll still be here."

That reminded me a lot about Kimberly. How she never judged me, how she was always there for me, how whenever people did her wrong, she always comes out on top and I have to say, I admire her for that. After the guy came off stage, it was my turn. As I walked onto the stage and sat on the stool, the announcer said: "Before you start, you have a special message from someone." I looked out onto the screen behind me and seen Kimberely in her hospital gown. Her hair was all-natural and her make up was flawless. "Hello, my love." Her voice instantly calmed my inner fears. "Even though I'm not there, I just wanted to tell you that I love you and I know that you are going to do your best. If you don't rock it, or you blow the house away with your gift, I just want to let you know that I will be proud of you either way. Bye." I smiled and looked into the audience and I saw Raven and Chunki with Amber in her lap. I smiled. "And now Ladies and Gentlemen, show your love for Tremaine Neverson!!!" The audience claps as I get situated on stage. I hear, "I LOVE YOU DADDY TREY!!!!!" with the whole audience saying "aaawwws" in unison. My smile got wider as tears threatened to fall from my eyes. I love Amber as if she was my own and for her to see me as her dad...is very special to me. I smiled and winked at her and grabbed my guitar. "Good Evening everyone. This is just a snippet of a new song I'm writing. It's copywritten so don't try to take it but...It's Called "Gotta Make It" I streamed up my guitar and started to play and sing.

Me: (sings) baby

one day soon you gone walk outside

and see a Mercedes

And I'm gone give ya the keys and tell ya 'go shoppin'

(and buy everything you want, buy everything you need,

make sure you get some things for me)

Then I can get us out the hood and have us livin good

But first I gotta know that you gonna roll

Cause girl a suit wit a smile that don't fit me

Taking a bus for some miles is gon kill me

(that's gon kill me)

I'm tryin' to turn it around, start this thing from the ground

and as long i kno you're gon be down

Looking at you day after day I know I

Just Gotta Make It (alright)

I Just Gotta Make It (Just Gotta Make It)

Just to see that smile upon your face I know I

Just Gotta Make It (alright) I Just Gotta Make It

Everything I do I do for you then we

Just Gotta Make It (alright)

Just Gotta Make It (that's right)

To the top of the world me and my girl we

Just Gotta Make It (alright) Just Gotta Make It

I stopped and the crowd cheered. I thanked them, grabbed my guitar and walked off the stage. As I was walking off the stage, I headed towards the girls. "Excuse me, sir?" I turned around and seen the man that went before me. "My name is Lyfe Jennings. That was a nice song you did doc." I shook his hand. "Thank You, Sir." He nods and says, "So you're the Trey my girls talk about?!?" Now I look confused. "Girls?" I asked. " MR. J! MR.J!!!!" I turned around to see Amber running towards us. She reached out her arms and gave Lyfe a hug. "How come you're not on the bus Mr. J?" We all laughed as Lyfe replied, "Well, little lady! This is my other job too." "Oh...Daddy Trey, this is Mr. J! He drives our bus from our old house when you were away." Amber said. She was so respectful and polite. I nodded. I reached out my hand and he grabbed it. "Thank you for watching out for them. They all I have." Lyfe smiled. "No problem. Now I can tell my father that you kept his word. " Now I looked confused again. "Father??" Lyfe nodded and said one word. "Pops." The words of the Pops replayed in my head. "Once you leave, don't come back. I don't wanna see you in here again? You hear me?" I looked at Lyfe with wide eyes. "Pops is your dad?" Lyfe smiled and said, "Yes. My dad would be so proud of you." "As am I." I turn around and saw Kimmy in a wheelchair. I walked over to her and got on my knees to hug her. "You didn't REALLY think that I would miss your first show??" I laughed as I pulled away from her. I looked up to see a nurse. "She insisted, however, we had a deal. I'd bring her if she's come BACK to the hospital." I nod and said, "Yes, she's going back." I kissed Kimmy on her lips. "I'm glad you came, beautiful." Kimmy smiled and said, "I wouldn't have missed it"