9: A talk at the café

June 15, Saturday.
1:50 PM

"Here's your Java creme frappe, ma'am."

"Thank you!"

Just to make sure I wouldn't be late, I left my house at 1 and arrived here 30 minutes ago. And ordered of course, because when I arrived here, still half an hour remained till Ari would arrive.

And as of now, she could arrive at any moment.

I'm not too nervous. I mean, she's my best friend.

Things will work out alright, right?

And a wave of anxiety hit me. Just when I told myself "i'm not too nervous" I mentally facepalmed then took a sip out of my frappe.

I took out my phone to check the time.

1:55

I turned it back off, put it back in my pocket then began nervously tapping my feet on the ground.

"Welcome ma'am!" I heard the lady by the door greet and I felt my stomach churn. Soft and slow steps approached me and I slowly turned my head around.

"You look pale."

I gulped. "H-hey Ari."

"Hey." She took her seat facing in front of me. Unlike her usual bubbly self, Ari was looking very inscrutable. What have I done?

"Ma'am would you like to order?" The waitress from earlier came back over to my table holding a menu. "I'll just have the same as her." Ari tells the waitress. She nods and heads back over to where the drinks were being made and informed the baristas on what Ari's order was.

"So." Ari clears her throat. "You still haven't figured why I'm upset yet?"

"No."

Ari sighs. "Such an intelligent person yet you can't figure out what made your bestfriend upset."

"I don't know if I should feel flattered or insulted."

"Hmmm. Both."

"Now, do you mind telling me what upset you?"

"Demanding."

My eyebrows twitched. I was trying not to get annoyed. "What do you want me to do then? I tried saying sorry! I can't read your mind!"

"Fine. I'll tell you what's upsetting me." She takes a deep breath. "Lydia, it's obvious something has been bothering you lately."

"No... There is nothing, really."

"Stop lying. You can't hide things from you bestfriend. I'm not stupid you know."

"S-sorry." I had nothing else to say. Ari's words were so direct to the point and true that all I could do was feel guilty. "There really are things troubling me."

"See. You keep pushing me away whenever I'm trying to help you. I'm your bestfriend! I want to know if you're ok, or if you need help. You're just... Just so closed off. Sometimes I feel like we aren't even really bestfriends."

Her words stabbed my heart. Yet they were true.

I hide the truth from everyone. Including her.

"I want you to be honest with me for once. And tell me what's bugging you Lydia." She gave me a darkened look and I stayed silent, thinking.

Should I? Should I tell her I'm a gamer? Is it a good idea?

I probably should.

But I'm not ready.

But what if that ruins our friendship?