13: Mother's love

July 24, Monday.
1:20 PM

"Lydia? Are you alright? You look sick?" My mother greets me as I enter the house feeling like my stomach would explode. "I prepared your clothes. Go and take another shower and after that i'll help do your hair."

"Yeah uh mom... Can I rest for a few minutes? I'm not in the best condition." I tell her and rush to the restroom, where I let the cold desert stuffed into my mouth come back out from my mouth.

And that is because the three of us forced ourselves to finish the banana boat.

Darn you professor Adley!

"Lydia? Are you ok in there?" I hear my dad knock from outside the restroom's door.

"Yeah dad, I'm fine." I wash my face and head back out of the restroom feeling a lot better, yet still bloated. "I just ate a lot."

"That's why I always tell you to never force yourself to finish your food. Because either way it'll be wasted."

"Hahaha..." I mean, I didn't want to force myself to finish it either. I avoid eye contact with my dad and head into my room. Where a plain black dress with two subtle frills that starts from waist till it's ends was placed on my bed. It wasn't my dress, that's for sure. It's probably my mom's. "Do you like it?" My mom sticks her head inside my room. Well for once she seems to be in a good mood. "It's fine. Thanks mom." I fall onto my bed, turn to my side and hug my pillow. My energy is depleted. I'm exhausted.

I'll shower at 2:00, for now I'll rest.

"Do you want me to curl your hair or iron it straight?" My mom enters my room and closes the door behind her.

"Curled I guess."

"How about for your make up? Would you like a simple look or a bold one?"

"What? Mom? No! I don't like putting make up on!"

"But you need to fix yourself Lydia! Just this once. At least put blush on, powder and lipstick alright?" My mom takes a seat beside me on my bed and I sigh. "Fine." She smiles in return. "My baby is really growing up!"

"Mhm."

"I really miss when you were a little girl. Reading books then running over to me and telling me about what you read." She giggles. "And sometimes you'd hand me a book and tell me to read it to you till you fell asleep. And once you were asleep you'd begin snoring like an old man."

"Mom-"

"I still have a video of that time!"

"Mom..."

"Do you want to watch it?"

"No, mom. I'm tired. Can you leave me to rest? Please?"

"Oh, alright." My mom frowns and gets up, leaving my room. Oh great, I feel guilty again.

I dig my face into my pillow and close my eyes. Welp, too late to take back what I said now. I'll just apologize to mom later.

Even though I mean well, I always tend to hurt peoples feelings. I'm not sure if it's just the way I speak, my constant deadpans, or both. But heck, I really feel like a jerk now.

2:30 PM

"Lydia?" I hear a knock on my door and I slowly force my eyes open. "Come in."

"Lydia? Are you going to shower yet? It's 2:30." My mom sticks her head inside my door. "If you're still planning to shower, then you should do so now, and be quick. I still have to fix you.

Dang it! I only have an hour to get ready!

"Yeah, on it!" I get my towel and clothes then rush to the restroom and take a quick shower. After that I wipe myself dry, put my outfit on and brush my teeth. Eh, this dress is kinda cute.

Finally I head back to my room, where my mom was setting up the hair dryer. As I closed the door behind me, she stopped what she was doing and turned around to look at me in awe. "Lydia it looks amazing on you."

"T-thanks mom." I say and fiddle with the dress' frills. My mother motions me to sit down and she turns on the hair dryer, holding it in her right hand, and had a comb in her left hand.

I tossed my towel and clothes onto my bed and took a seat. My mom began combing my hair, then hair drying it. "Are you excited Lydia?" She asks.

"Of course not mom."

"Why's that?"

"I dislike talking in public."

"Just think of it as a challenge Lydia, you will be alright."

I sigh and go silent. Listening to the sound of the hair dryer, trying not to flinch as the warm air would tickle my neck and blow my hair into my face. And a wave of guilt suddenly hit me once I remembered how I snapped at my mom earlier. "Hey mom... Sorry about how I acted earlier. I was just tired."

"It's alright darling." She put down the comb and the hair dryer then picked up the curler and began curling my hair. "It's been a while since you let me fix you." She says, and I respond with silence. And so the room stayed in an not so awkward silence. It was just me, thinking about random things. And my mom, focused on curling my hair.

Soon enough, the room had the faint smell of steam and my mom was now gently patting a light pink blush onto my cheeks, then a subtle pink lipstick color onto my lips and she was done. "Wait a moment Lydia." My mom walks out my room, and I take out my phone to look at myself, Since I didn't have any mirror. I don't really enjoy seeing myself.

My usually wavy caramel brown hair was now curled into larger locks, and the light pink blush gave my face a bit of life. For once, I didn't flinch at my own appearance.

Oh wow... My eyes widen with shock. It was probably the best version i've seen of myself in ages. Far from the regular me which would wear something chill like a beanie and had messy hair. One of the reasons why I still can't figure out what made other students look up to me.

The door creaked open and my mother returned with a necklace and perfume. She had a warm smile on her face as she put the perfume down then placed the necklace around my neck before I even got to say anything.

The necklace was silver and had a musical note which held an opal in the center. "What's this for?" I ask my mom.

"A good luck charm. I recieved that from my professor back in my highschool days, when I joined my first contest." She responds. Oh yeah, mom used to play the piano.

"But mom... All I'm going to do is give a speech."

But she just continues to smile at me. "Maybe I'll play a song for you."

"I haven't heard you play before mom."

"You will sometime." She takes the perfume and sprays it on me and we head out my room.

"There's only 20 minutes left." I frown as I look at the clock hung out on the living room, then I quickly head back into my room, almost forgetting to take my phone and wallet with me, I take the two objects, put them in my small bag and hurry back out of my room.

"I can drive you to the hotel If you want." My dad tells me.

"Sure dad."

"Have fun sweetie!" My mom waves.

"Yeah, thanks mom." I wave back, then me and my dad head out the door and into the car.

•••

I'm having second thoughts about this  chapter😂