Chapter 3: The First Night & Morning

It was getting late, which meant that we were expected to go to sleep soon. I looked over at Draco who was fiddling with his hands. We haven't said a word to each other for at least an hour, and it was starting to become a little weird. I decided to just break the silence. 

"Malfoy.. um, how are we going to do this?" I asked. I saw him look over at me and he replied, "Do what, exactly? You do what you want, and I'll do the same. Why must we talk at all?" He looked away from me. I thought he would say something like that, it was typical Draco Malfoy. "Well, because for an entire year we'll be staying in the same room together, and that's even on top of all of the classes we have." 

Draco looked over at me again, but he didn't say anything. We were interrupted by Professor Snape, who to my convenience, was the head of Slytherin house. I had Draco and Snape to deal with.. I was in for a real treat. 

"It is time for you two to go to bed." He explained in his slow, harsh voice as always. "Get your room tidied up and change before you go to sleep. And, also.. behave," he added shortly. Draco and I nodded and got up off of our beds. Draco went to the bathroom and came out changed in blue pajamas. I went in and did the same. 

It was a while until I felt tired, but I still couldn't sleep. I looked over at Draco and it seemed like he was also wide awake. "Potter, could you stop looking at me?" I heard him say. "I was just wondering why you aren't going to sleep," I asked. He started to face me and he actually looked different from this view. He looked calm, and for once I didn't see hatred in his eyes toward me. 

Before I could stop myself I asked, "Why do you try and act like you're better then everyone else all the time?" Draco looked like he was shaken back to earth. "Excuse me?" He said with a rude tone. "I said you shouldn't talk to me." He turned to the other side, and I just forgot about it. Why was I trying to make a conversation with Draco Malfoy?

I finally feel asleep after thinking for a while. But a few hours later I heard voices. I was having another dream.. about Voldemort. 

Draco's POV: "Stop! Leave them alone!" I was hearing screaming near me. I woke up and saw Potter moving and what seemed like on the edge of crying. I got up and walked over to him. I always teased him about his dreams.. now I understood why they were such a huge deal. I tried talking to him, "Potter.. Potter wake up." I was trying to shake him but nothing happened. I looked down at his hand and took it in mine.. holding it tightly. "Potter, it's okay.. wake up." 

And all of a sudden he broke from the dream. I was holding his hand and he was looking at me. I quickly let go of him, and walked away to my bed again. "You were having a dream," I said. "I wasn't sure what to do.." He just looked at me and said, "Thank you.. really," he said wiping sweat and tears off of his face. I helped Harry Potter. I was really wondering what was getting into me. We both went back to sleep and woke up around the same time in the morning. 

Harry's POV: When I got up, I saw Draco getting up as well. We shared a glance, but then we looked away from each other as we got dressed. The first class was Defense Against the Dark Arts with Professor Lupin, who luckily for me, was able to stay at Hogwarts and teach. 

Draco and I walked down to breakfast without a word and I went over to Ron and Hermione who were already sitting at the Gryffindor table. "So.." Hermione asked me. "How was spending the night with Malfoy?" I looked over at Malfoy who was sitting with Crabbe and Goyle at the Slytherin table. I shrugged and said, "It wasn't as horrible as I thought. I actually had another dream.. and he helped me." Hermione and Ron shared looks with one another. 

"Are you alright?" Hermione asked me. I nodded and asked her about their nights. "Well, Pansy wasn't as horrible either. We were talking and once I got to know her a little bit more, I understood why she was always rude to us." Ron just looked at Hermione and I. "I still don't like Crabbe. He snores as loud as a hippo, I couldn't get any sleep!" Hermione and I laughed, and Ron gave us an annoyed look. The food appeared in thin air as usual, and we quickly finished eating before we headed off to Professor Lupin's classroom.