Chapter 4: Defense Against The Dark Arts

Hermione, Ron, and I arrived at Defense Against the Dark Arts class, and I saw Draco walk in closely behind us who was followed by Crabbe and Goyle. We still didn't say anything to each other, only caught eye contact once, and we went to find our seats. I greeted professor Lupin, who was more like a friend to me these days. He was the best friend to my parents, so he basically knew everything about me now too. 

"Okay, so today everyone.. we will be practicing the patronus charm. I think that you should be ready now that you all are in the sixth year." He looked over at me and said, "Harry knows how to conjure a full patronus, so he will be helping me today." I have taught the class before, but I wasn't expecting to be helping my first day back. I just smiled back and agreed anyway. 

"You will be working with your partners on this one," Professor Lupin stated, and I looked over at Draco who was already staring at me. "At first, Harry, I will need your help, but then you will go over and work with Mr. Malfoy over there." "Oh.. alright," I said in a soft tone. Everyone found their partner and looked right back up at Professor Lupin and I. 

Professor Lupin told me to go help the right side of the room, while he took the other. It took a while for some people to get the hang of it, I remember it taking me a while too. "Okay, Harry," he said. "I've got it from here, why don't you go and help Draco?" I nodded and made my way over to Malfoy. I was watching him the whole time, but he never seemed to conjure even a small light from his wand. Did he not have any happy memories? For once, I felt sorry for him.

"Hey, um.. Malfoy, I'm supposed to work with you now," I said. He didn't seem to want to talk, but he soon spoke, "I'm fine. Just go help one of your friends, Potter." I could see sadness in his eyes. I knew, because I've had that same look in my eyes until I found out about Hogwarts. I just stood further away from him and pretended not to care, but something was up with him, I could tell. 

Class ended and Professor Lupin pulled me up to the front before I walked out with Ron and Hermione. "I see that Draco wasn't able to conjure a patronus. Not that he would be able to, it does take a while to fully get it down," he made a pause, "But knowing his family it might take a little longer for him." I looked up at him and asked, "He looked unlike himself.. sad even." Professor Lupin put an arm on my shoulder.

"You know, Harry. I know you two have been at each other since year one, but you do have a lot in common with him. It may be good that you got paired up with one another." I studied what he said. Good? How could this be good? "I'm not sure if you're right about that, Professor." He smiled, "Just think about it, Harry. And remember, I told you to call me Remus." "Oh, right," I smiled back. "Well, off you go," he said to me, and I walked out of the door and headed to my next class. 

The day was finally over and dinner was about to be served in the Great Hall. I found Ron and Hermione and rushed over to them. "Yes!" Yelled Ron. "My favorite!" He just found out that the desert was pumpkin pastries. Hermione and I just gave each other the normal look when Ron got excited about small things. "Harry," asked Hermione, "You'll tell us if you have another dream, will you? And if it keeps happening, you should really tell Dumbledore." "Yes, Hermione. I will, don't worry." She nodded and finished her dinner.

Soon everyone was escorted to their house common rooms by the prefects, and Draco and I went into our room. "Draco?" I asked him. He looked back, wondering why I was talking to him again. "Well, I just wanted to say thank you again for last night. I mean, I never thought you would ever want to help me." "I only did it so you would stop screaming. I couldn't sleep with you wailing all over the place." I actually felt a smile form on my face, that was followed by a laugh. And to my surprise, Malfoy did the same.

We changed into our pajamas and got into our beds before I asked him one last thing. "You know, Malfoy.. I still struggle with this pain inside of me. And I think you have it too. That's why you couldn't conjure a patronus." Draco looked at me in almost a nervous way. "I just wasn't feeling good, Potter. That's all." And he turned the other way and went to sleep. Typical Draco, I said again in my head. 

Draco's POV: Why was he so interested in me? Is he up to something? That has to be it.. why would Potter care about how I'm feeling? It just wouldn't make sense. But what feels even weirder was that we smiled at each other, and he called me by my first name. And I didn't feel anything other than happiness.