✝Ten✝

10-23

"Which one of you did it." Sister Cecelia spat, venom in every word. I had to chuckle at her facial expression. She looked ridiculously idiotic. "Confess!" She shouted. "If you don't we'll find out anyways and then your punishment will be twice as bad as it is now." I saw Vic smile across the room. 

Sister Cecelia glanced at us and glared, warning us. I snapped my head the opposite direction, trying to cover of my laughs. But damn was it hard. 

"Was it you?" She accused, walking up to Vic. He continued to laugh, as did I. Why was this so funny?

Her anger rose to the ceiling before she latched onto chin, made him look at her, and slapped him. The moment was no longer funny, but horrifying.

"Confess or you will be punished more severely than that." She now said through the silence. Every scampered away from her.

A heard squealing. Andy rolled up beside me.

"She's crazy, right?" He sighed before rolling towards her. I tried to latch onto the wheelchair's handles, but didn't grab them in time. "Over here you stupid bitch!" He called nonchalantly.

"Andy what-"

"I did it. I don't know what I did, but I'm saving you guys the time. Go ahead, haul me off, beat me." He begged, throwing his arm out as if she was going to cuff him. 

"Enough." She said firmly, so he just smirked.

"Fine, I admit. I really did it, okay?" Her eyes traced the room and landed on me. I looked away.

"Very well." She replied in a skeptical tone. But that didn't stop her from rolling him off towards the office.

I watched as Vic approached me quickly. I couldn't tell if I was happy or nervous about him seeing me right now.

"What was that about?"

"Like I have any clue." I replied, sitting back down. He sat down too. "Vic you shouldn't be over here-"

"I want to be." Fair enough.

We didn't talk for quite awhile, or at all honestly. Everything was silent it seemed. The lingering happy spirit that some of us managed to carry around was gone. It was murky now.

Through the silence I tried to listen for any signs of Andy, but there was none. I wondered if he actually did something or he just took the punishment for someone. I don't know if I could be that generous honestly.

"He didn't do it you know?" Vic asked. I looked at him, as he was looking right back.

"I assumed, can you read my thoughts?" I joked, causing him to smile.

"Nope, but your eyes manage to say a lot." And the awkward tension was back. 

"Why are you looking at my eyes?" I blurted out. 

"They tell me what you're thinking, how you feel, plus they're pretty." I blushed. "But I know it wasn't him, I heard Philomena talking with a guy behind me. He said he hospitalized one of the guards for trying to undress him.

"Really?" I asked. I knew whatever it was had to have been bad, but that's crucial.

"Yeah, but they'll find out once the guard returns, or if he does. I'm sure he's going to be fine. Then he'll tell them who actually did it."

"So Andy had no reason to do this?"

"Honestly, I have no clue why he did it." Vic laughed. I could tell he was kind of nervous around me.

"Why are you nervous?" I suddenly asked, thinking my thoughts out loud.

"I'm not." He lied, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Quit lying and stop acting so stiff." I punched his arm playfully.

"Then you quit acting fake." He teased back. The awkward silence was back.

Why does this happen every time we talk anymore? It's driving me insane. If everything just went back the way it was, my life would be so much easier.

Just imagine, I could've decided to stay off of the bus. I could've walked home, I could've missed the bus, anything. There were thousands of ways I could've avoided this situation.

It made me hate my decisions.

"What are you thinking about?" Vic suddenly asked. I watched a man flip the vinyl playing on the record player, repeating the same annoying song again.

"Just about all the ways we could've avoided being here..." I mumbled, throwing my head back.

"You know, I don't regret coming here." He replied quickly. I looked back at him, confusion clogging my head.

"Why? We could be living a normal life right now."

"Normal is boring." He replied with a shrug. "Just imagine when we get out of here the stories we could tell." I let out sigh. How did he still have so much hope? "Plus I wouldn't have met you." Vic added on, causing me to blush.

"Stop you're going to make me like you too much." I said with a small laugh, even though I was beyond liking him.

With one last smile, he stood up and walked off again, and that was the last time we spoke for the rest of the day. 

I had no one with me it seemed. No one wanted to talk to me, and I didn't want to talk to anyone either. The only people I enjoyed talking to was Vic and Andy. In fact, I'm surprised I've come to like Andy so much. Vic was right about him though, it was an act in the beginning.

We haven't known each other for a long time, but long enough to know him decently. In here, a year relationship could happen in less than a week. You're always crammed together twenty-four seven, so you're kind of forced to be solitary or at least try to talk to someone. 

I guess I judged too early. No surprise though, it's not uncommon.

My mind also wandered off to what I could be doing right now. I could be hanging out with my friends right now. This Halloween could've been so much fun. Now it was all ruined.

My future, my life. It was taken out of my hand in a blink of an eye. I chose my fate the minute I stepped foot on that bus.

The part that hurt the most was that now I realized I had a choice. I just made the wrong one.