✝Twelve✝

10-25

"Are you ready?" Vic asked me on my left side, so I nodded. Vic, some other patients, and myself were aligned evenly by the hall leading to Sister Margaret's office. I felt his hand lock with mine as he gave me a sly smile. 

Relief spread through my body at his touch. 

Click, click, click. I heard from the far side of the hallway. The clicks became more and more sufficient as I knew Sister Margaret was getting closer. And then I saw her, and she saw me.

With a mere smile, she continued towards me, but little did she know I was not alone. Her expression faltered as she saw all of us lined up.

"Hello Kellin, I see you disobeyed my orders." She spoke calmly, gazing at all of us with glossy eyes. I gulped.

"You think you can get away with this?" Vic asked boldly, glaring at her. 

"Get away with what?" She played dumb, a smile twitching onto her lips. If I wouldn't get arrested for it I'd try to kill her right now. 

"I'm not going to be apart of your procedure." I finally stated. Her eyes met mine again, but I didn't back down this time.

"Oh but you will."

"Pipe it." Andy said. "You're out of your mind if you think it's okay to do this to an innocent boy." Once again, she smiled.

"I'll make you a deal." I spoke again. She raised her eyebrows. "I will not tell a soul what I know as long as there is no procedure." I reasoned. She chuckled.

"How could I trust you?" 

"I gave you an opportunity." Vic pulled out the book from behind his back. Somehow he managed to snatch the book of regulations from a guard. He must be good with his hands. Quickly, he flipped through the pages. Sister Margaret's expression faltered yet again as she tried to get to him. But Philomena and one other man I didn't really know stopped her in her place.

"You are not allowed to obtain that." She said quickly. "Guards!" She yelled.

But I already knew this was how it'd go down.

"Regulation number thirty-two. Frontal Lobotomies and shocks are no longer allowed due to distress and fatality of the patient." Vic read aloud. I smiled at him.

"You're not allowed to do this to me. And if you do, when spectators come...I'll tell." She glared at me.

The guards didn't actually separate us like I had expected them to do. In fact, they looked over to Sister Margaret, who no longer seemed to like the position she was in.

I watched as she smiled sheepishly. Everything she had been doing was erroneous. The guard moved past us and up to her, linking onto her arms.

"Put me down." She yelled at them, struggling obviously. But she was no match for the tall guards. An accomplished smile crept onto all our lips as we realized we had won this battle. But there were plenty more to come.

Everyone wandered off shortly after, except for Vic and I. I smiled at him, practically gleaming for once in what seems like forever. 

"Thank you so much. You helped tremendously." I complimented.

"Anything for you." He replied, causing me to blush. "I have something for you." He added on.

I followed him back to a table, and I took a seat adjacent to him. He then dug through his pocket and pulled out a small white object. Then I recognized it.

"I know it's plain, they don't have colored paper here. What's your favorite color?" I smiled as he handed me the paper. I turned it around gently, observing it.

"Yellow." I finally responded. He smiled at me.

"I wish I could've made it yellow for you."

"It's okay, I love it." I replied honestly.

"Keep it in your pockets though, they'll kill us if they find out I snagged some paper."

"Yeah I have a question, how are you so good at smuggling things and such?" He smiled mischievously.

"I did some business in my high school years." My mouth gaped open. "Nothing bad though, I just learned how to I guess."

"Thank God I thought you were being serious for a second." He shook his head, still smiling. 

"So...what do you think is going to happen between us now?" He asked, so I just shrugged.

"Nothing probably." He leaned back in the chair.

There was plenty of things to think about right now, but a negligible amount of things to actually do. It was hard to balance your thoughts though. Basically, you either got lost in your thoughts for way too long, or you just couldn't think at all. Perfect balances aren't so perfect here to say the least.

"Thinking again eye?" Vic said, snapping me out of that peculiar phase I like to go into often. 

"Always." I replied calmly, tapping my feet on the wooden floor rhythmically.

"It's okay, I drift off a lot too." He said thereafter.

"You know you say everything I want to hear right?" I spoke without thinking it through. But Vic didn't take it the wrong way fortunately.

"Good." He said with a little chuckle at the end. "It makes you like me more obviously." He said sarcastically, causing me to roll my eyes for what seemed like the millionth time.

"I don't get why I even like you." I blurted out, then I quickly gained my composure once again and somehow managed not to blush.

"I know why I like you." He retaliated.

"Why?"

"Well you seem pretty honest, but maybe I'm wrong. We have a lot in common, and also a lot of differences. You're cute, you're calm in certain situations. It shows that you care about me and everyone else. You're entertaining to watch when you get pissed, and you blush a lot."

"Stop." I whined. 

"Stop what?"

"Complimenting me, it's embarrassing."

"Why be embarrassed when you can embrace all your imperfections?" He had a point there. But I'm not very self confident so... "Now what do you like about me?" He asked.

"U-Um." I thought through what I wanted to say. "I like your hair, and your smile...You have a good smile a-and pretty eyes." He snickered.

"Sounds a lot about my appearance. It also sounds like Kellin Quinn has a little crush."

"Shut up." I muttered, slouching down in my chair slightly.

"It's okay, I'm glad you have a crush on me."

"Why though?" I asked yet again another question.

"Because then it just wouldn't feel right to have a crush on you as well." And that time I couldn't help but to blush. I doubt he missed it either. But then he sighed. "Fun's over." He muttered, so my eyes went from him to the doors again. Two guards watched us from afar.

"I'll be on my way." I said, standing up from my seat.

"Come back soon." He suggested, so I simply nodded before hurrying off across the room.

Things just became a hell of a lot more confounding.