Mini-Episode One: Part Five

Doonah returned to her own studio artist loft. Hers was the cheapest of them all, due to it being an oddly cut corner space. Not that she minded. Mainly all she wanted would be a place to crash when she wasn't off doing private music lessons to pay the rent.

She'd known Root since preschool, and they'd been close ever since, sometimes too close. Everyone called him Root, because no four year old - him included - could say his birth name of Rutebega. Root's parents ran an organic market. Doonah thought they had a poor sense of humor.

She could say much better for her own parents. Her Dad left her in the care of her art teacher aunt when Doonah was very small, after Doonah's mom died in childbirth. She hardly remembered her mother either than her Dad's stories, but at least her father came back for her and the two became quite a team.

Doonah and Root had come this close to being friends with benefits, but Doonah always knew they'd never be more than friends. That worked for her.

Except that it had caused her to run into the arms of some guy named Tarran and try to strike it up as a duo in music and more. When she caught him cheating, then found out her Dad Noah Cross intended to remarry, Doonah looked up her childhood friend Root and moved to the big city.

Doonah took a nap for a couple hours, and then went and checked on Root again.

"Come on, Root, this isn't funny!" Doonah loudly told him as she knocked hard on the door.

He did not answer.