01: sensitivity

Jungkook lowered his sunglasses to peer at the woman in disbelief. 

There's no way  he thought as he rose from the plastic chair and adjusted his lifeguard cap in anticipation of disaster. In his three years as a lifeguard at the local beach, he'd seen everything ranging from children shamelessly peeing near the shore till his fellow lifeguard and best friend Jimin being punched for not letting a grown man go down the kiddie slide. 

Had it not been 97° and painfully scorching by California standards, he'd find the blonde's behavior nothing out of the ordinary and would've carried on with his day without a second thought.

 But sadly, it was 97° and although he convinced himself that he was intrigued only to salvage his paycheck (which was crucial in paying through his sophomore year of college that upcoming fall), he knew he was far more baffled by her mind than by anything else.  

"Excuse me, Miss!" He called out to no avail, watching as the blonde remained indifferent to his voice and continued to walk alongside the dock.

 At this, Jungkook narrowed his eyes in annoyance and fished out his infamous whistle from the pocket of his red boardshorts.  A few feet away, his shift-partner, Yeri, rolled her eyes at his actions before covering her ears with both hands.

 Lucky for her and truthfully for all, the shrilling sound never came. 

Just seconds before Jungkook was about to lift the piece of metal to his mouth, the mysterious woman turned to face him head-on and the only phrase he could muster afterwards was a quiet "fuck"

Covered from head to toe by a full-length, long-sleeve yet form-fitting maxi dress, Jungkook had never found the color yellow to appear so tantalizing on a person. Her short blonde hair framed her face in soft curls, bringing out the sharpness in her features and the glimmer in her dark eyes as she stared back. His gaze followed her slim hand as she adjusted the ruby necklace adorning her neck and exposed the skin of her fair collarbones in the process. 

"Is there an issue, Mr.Lifeguard?" She asked smoothly, a hint of mischief laced in her honey-coated voice as she secretly admired his features from underneath her long lashes. 

Jungkook straightened his back in attempts to regain his composure.

"Yes," He started, watching as the woman before him furrowed her brows at his words. "There's an issue with that."

Still confused, the blonde followed her eyes to where he was pointing and was briefly surprised when she was left looking straight above at the wine-colored umbrella she'd been carrying since she arrived. 

Jungkook crossed his arms over his bare chest and nonchalantly waited for a half-hearted apology (no different than the ones he's accustomed to hearing since he was hired) to slip past her pretty lips, only to be met with dead silence. 

He watched as her crimson-painted lips twisted into a dazzling smile, revealing a set of flawless teeth underneath, as she teasingly twirled the umbrella over her stunning frame.

"What can I say? I have sensitive skin."

Jungkook was about to reply when her phone rang within her hands and stopped him from saying much else. 

"I have to go," She apologized in the same silky tone, causing his heart to quicken pace before she turned to leave just as abruptly. 

As she disappeared and became one with the Saturday crowd, Jungkook couldn't help but feel a tinge of disappointment as he returned to his plastic chair to watch over his side of the dock. 

"I can't believe you didn't even get her number," Yeri laughed as she texted her girlfriend Wendy.

Jungkook sighed and simply chose to slide on his sunglasses once again. 

❂✴❁✴❂

author's note: i'm genuinely ecstatic to publish this :) i hope you like it as much as i did!!