08: garlic salt

It goes without saying, that dinner (whether they intended it to be that way or not) quickly became a sensitive affair between the two college students, who nervously evaded their friends' heated stares after their encounter.

As terrible as it sounds, Jungkook felt as if the tension in the room would have suffocated him if it weren't for Chaeyoung, who hastily broke the awkward silence by feigning enthusiasm when the scent of garlic wafted into the air.

"I love pasta," The redhead cooed happily while Jisoo set the tray on the table and Jungkook sighed in relief, although not missing the way Jimin's eyes reflected the same hearts visible in Chaeyoung's (for entirely different reasons).

"I know," Jisoo smiled back warmly before taking a seat besides Seokjin, who beamed at the product of his and his girlfriend's hard work with unmatched pride.

Moments later, when he saw that no one had mustered the courage to make the first move yet—half out of shyness and half out of sheer pride—the ebony-haired man sighed in disappointment. "Well, what are you waiting for?" Seokjin urged the group forward and soon enough, the remaining ten got the message and were filling their plates to the brim with his approval.

In his daze, it was only when Jungkook peered to his right that he noticed the empty plate beside his.

"Hey, aren't you hungry?" He asked Lisa, a hint of concern laced in his voice, as the blonde shifted in her chair and nervously adjusted the necklace around her neck before meeting his eye.

"I can't have garlic," Lisa admitted ruefully as Jungkook stared back at a loss for words.

None at all? He wondered, his eyes glazing over his generous serving of pasta marinara and the homemade garlic bread sticks he'd fought Taehyung to claim as his own. Looking back towards the blonde, his suspicions were confirmed when she mouthed an apology in return.

"I'm so sorry, Lis," Jimin mumbled from across them and through a large mouthful of food—a habit of his that Jungkook had gradually come to accept as a part of his persona—"I completely forgot about your allergies."

"It's alright," Lisa reassured the pinkette with a small smile. "I'm not that hungry, anyway."

At this, Jungkook raised an eyebrow.

He knew that wasn't the case—after all, Lisa had been fawning over the thought of food only minutes earlier when Seokjin had pulled them out of their uncomfortably intimate position with the promise of something delicious.

But seeing as Lisa happened to be as good of an actress as she was a model, Jungkook sighed after realizing that he would have to take matters within his own hands to ensure that the thin woman didn't leave his home hungry.

"Chae, you can have my share," Jungkook pushed his plate towards the surprised yet delighted redhead with a tinge of regret before he turned towards the equally surprised blonde beside him and gently wrapped his fingers around her pale wrist.

"Come, I got something better for us," He winked, leading Lisa away from the table as Jennie struggled to swallow the remainder of her drink without choking from shock.

"Miss Kim? Miss Kim? Oh my fuckin' God. She fuckin' dead."

.

Now ideally, a bowl of Cap'N Crunch wasn't what Jungkook usually considered as much "better" but then again, he'd never sacrificed a grand buffet in favor of cereal before either.

From a few feet away, Jungkook could hear his friends' laughter echo through his ears but he simply shrugged, thinking that it was somewhat inevitable for him to be placed in this position.

As he walked to place the two bowls on the coffee table they'd sat behind moments earlier—one flavored with cotton candy for Lisa and the other being peanut butter for himself—Jungkook decided that maybe it wasn't so bad if it meant having the chance to see Lisa smile again (not that he would ever admit to that in person).

"Thanks," Lisa gratefully took the spoon from his outstretched hand and adjusted herself into a cross-legged position before digging into the sugar-coated goodness that the marketing industry dared to promote as a staple breakfast item. "So good," She mumbled quietly and oddly, Jungkook found the action more cute than repulsive (much differently than he did with Jimin for sure).

The pair spent the next few minutes eating in silence—comfortably sitting side by side, knee to knee, and shoulder to shoulder as the television blared on in the background.

It was only when Jungkook finished the last bits of his serving, that Lisa turned to face him with a sheepish smile on her face as he tried to read her underlying intentions. Once he managed to do so, he couldn't force himself to conceal the wide grin that overtook his features.

"Seconds?" He asked playfully despite already knowing her answer.

"Yes please," Lisa cheered and Jungkook simply rolled his eyes before taking both of their bowls within his hands and heading back towards the kitchen.

Maybe (just maybe), he could get used to the absence of garlic every now and then.

❂✴❁✴❂

author's note: slightly awkward but i hope it's okay? anyways, thank you so very much for all the support :') it's late here but i feel so overwhelmed and wanted to update before heading to bed haha. until next time 💖