The Reformation Has Begun

Five years passed by peacefully and Ophelia had safely reached the age of six while I had turned ten. Within that time frame, I think I've become a pretty prominent figure in Ophelia's life. As the only one in the house close to her age, it had become my job to accompany Ophelia around and do various small tasks for her. The one everyone simply gave to me was to wake Ophelia up in the mornings. Surprisingly, she was an extremely stubborn sleeper and I was the only one who could wake her up.

     Opening the door to her room, I was met with the extravagance I had grown used to living in Duke Dubannes' household. The carpet, wallpaper, curtains, and bed even were worth more than I could ever make in my life. Then again, anything less and I'd worry that Duke Dubannes would dislike his only daughter. With quick steps, I made my way to her bed and opened up the canopy surrounding it.

     "Young Miss, it's time for you to wake up," I said, walking away from the bed to also open up the curtains and let light inside. "You have a big day ahead of you."

     As expected, Ophelia made no move to get up. Was she truly this stubborn?

     I'll accept it though. As long as she doesn't die I can deal with these little things.

     I fished through the pocket of my maid's apron and pulled out trusty flute I had received years ago. It had begun to look a bit run down as I'd been playing it for years and it was made of wood, but it still played well. With practiced movements, I began to play a cheery tune. It flowed through the room and essentially changed the whole room's atmosphere. It went from quiet and still sleeping to sunny and awake, ready for the day. I had written this piece myself and called it 'Ode to Morning' for this exact moment. It was Ophelia's favorite wake-up song and my best weapon to waking her up.

     Slowly but surely, Ophelia's golden eyes slowly began to flutter and open at the sound of the happy music. When I finished the song, she was sitting up fully in bed and rubbing her eyes. Her straight black hair had turned to bed head and her eyes still held traces of sleep. Adorable

     "Good morning, Ava."

     "Good morning, Young Miss. A bath has been prepared for you and afterward will be breakfast."

     Ophelia let out a hum before crawling out of bed, rubbing her eyes. She went to the bathroom with me following behind her. The bathroom was just as extravagant as her bedroom. Tiled, heated floors, a running water system, and a built-in ground bath. Well, it was more like a spa than anything. Surrounding the bath were three maids who looked to be in about their twenties. I had come to be familiar with them as they were often in charge of the bathing, Lia, Mia, and Tia. I still couldn't get comfortable with helping people do that. Their rhyming names was also a bit funny.

     "The Young Miss wishes for the usual. I'll be waiting outside."

     The maids nodded and started to get to work and I left the bathroom to return to Ophelia's bedroom and start the rest of my work. First of all, making the bed. That was always finished with ease and done quickly. When I was done, it looked like no one had even ever slept in the thing. Next was Ophelia's outfit for the day. Opening the closet door I was met with various dresses, blouses, skirts, and even pants made with the best quality materials money could buy. As expected of a Duke's daughter and expected of a maid, I had grown numb to it. Today would be busy as tomorrow some of the novels mentioned past events would occur. Ophelia would be meeting her husband to be, Prince Floyd and her adoration of him would begin. My first goal was to stomp that out entirely as that's the second biggest factor in Ophelia's demise. She could like her fiance but not go insane for him. She needed to be comfortable for today, however, as she would be enjoying her first shopping trip out of the mansion.