Virtue Or Vice

"Alexander, you can't keep doing this."

"I can and I will."

"But I have things to do and I don't want you around me while I do them."

"But I need to protect myself!"

"Not my problem."

I am once again holding the infamous pink goose known as Alexander, but this time he refuses to leave. I have thrown him away countless times but he continues to come back and stick to me. I'd compare us to a duck and her duckling but I'd want a duckling to follow me.

I don't want Alexander within 200 miles of me.

As I pondered the possibilites of game hunting, as Alexander is in goose form and therefore an animal I could turn into food, I continued to walk my route as I did before Alexander began bothering me.

Recently, I haven't been able to talk to Merlin again despite the close proximity we have on a daily basis. I have been able to feed him various things, sandwiches, soups, cookies, and etcetera. Though I haven't been able to talk to him. The main reason for that is...

Everytime I even attempt to say something to him, Ophelia calls me to do something for me. Most of the time it's quite trivial like "fluff my pillow" or "choose an accessory for me". I'm pretty sure she's deliberately trying to keep me from talking to Merlin.

Is she going through the 'mine' phrase she never got as a child? But I don't think I'm a very important possession.

Back to the matter at hand, I'm still carrying Alexander as I go about my business. He's really trying to talk to me about things I don't care about.

"And then he just followed me around for a full day! Doesn't he have classes or something?! Are you even listening?"

"Sorry, I don't speak goose."

"Then why did you reply?!"

"To screw with you. Now please shut up."

If Alexander weren't in his goose form I'm sure he'd be pouting up a storm with his arms crossed. He's a childish magical being, but then again the books never exposed his age. He was a mysterious character who only had bits of his past exposed.

But I don't feel like talking about him. So I won't.

"Oh look. It's His Royal Highness." I commented, getting the exact reaction out of Alexander I wanted.

His goose body looked around in terror. "What? Where? How?"

There was no Floyd. I just wanted to fuck with him. I think the more mischievous part of my has been coming out a lot recently. I can't help it if they make it so easy for me to tease them.

"Just kidding~"

"I hate you so much."

"The feeling's mutual. The only reason I haven't turned you into Ophelia's dinner is that I'd never give her tainted meat."

Alexander's goose face may have not been very expressive, but I could tell he wanted to either laugh or cry. I think spending time with Alexander has become more bearable.

Which was exactly why at lunch, again, I had various goose scratches on my arms and face. Then again, I almost plucked Alexander clean so it was pretty even.

His human form was most likely almost bald.

Imagining bald Alexander made me laugh uncontrollably for an entire day. Ophelia and Merlin probably thought I had lost my mind.

Speaking of the Ophelia and Merlin situation, we have reached a stalemate.

"Ava, can you play me one more lullaby?" Ava looked up at me from her bed, laying down with the covers pulled up to her chin.

"I've played you five already, Ophie. I'd be keeping you up instead of sending you to sleep." I attempted to placate Ophelia, but she would not be swayed.

The young girl sat up. "Just one more, please?" She stared at me with those begging, docile kitten eyes and I bit my lip.

I had to put my foot down, I have to be strong, I have to be responsible.

I walked out of Ophelia's room after playing her three more songs on my flute.

Forgive me God, for I am weak.

I'm positively sure Ophelia only asked me to play so many songs because she was jealous of Merlin. When I walked out I glared at him for a long time. I didn't say anything and he began to sweat after awhile. I'm sorry, Merlin, but you're the only person I had blame right now.

"Did I do something wrong?"

"Exist."

"How is that my fault?!"

"It just is. You've triggered Ophi- Ophelia's 'mine phase'."

Merlin looked like he had been wronged, which was very much true. I had wronged this boy but I had no regrets. Merlin, you are a noble sacrifice for my peace of mind.

"Which reminds me." I had Merlin's dinner on hand once again. Today it was meatloaf and steamed vegetables. "Here's your nutrients for today."

Merlin took the food from me with a nod. "Thanks-"

"Then I'll be going. Have a good night."

"Ah, wait a second!"

I looked back at Merlin curiously, very much ready to get back to my room to wash and sleep. Though it seemed like what he had to say was quite important, so I decided to wait and hear whatever it was that would come out of his mouth.

"A-Ava?"

"Yes?"

"..." Merlin took a deep breath before speaking again. "Do you like me?"

I looked at him in confusion. "Of course I like you. Why would I feed you everyday if I didn't like you? Did you think I felt responsible for you? Well, I kind of do but that's not the point."

What a silly question for him to ask. Is Merlin, like, five?

"I don't mean it like that. I mean-"

"Merlin? Could you go get Ava?"

Merlin was interrupted by Ophelia's voice coming out from her bedroom and I could only shrug.

"Duty calls. We can finish this later."

"But-"

"Later." My words were absolute in this type of situation so Merlin could only purse his lips and let me enter Ophelia's room once again.

Ophelia was sitting up in bed, looking quite frightened as she turned to look at me. "Ava..."

I had a strong feeling that I wouldn't be leaving her room tonight.

[ Guess who's back. Back again. Ava's back. Tell a friend. Any who, I'll be trying to get an update of some sort out everyday while I'm out of school but I can promise nothing! Love you guys~ ]