Density Is Bliss

"Ophie, what's wrong?" I asked, practically scrambling over to check on her. Ophelia never got frightened, at least to the point that she would show it on her face. I was barely out of the room for five minutes. What could've happened?

Ophelia didn't answer my question and clung to me as soon as I got close, burying her head between my shoulder and neck. It seemed she would stubbornly stay there until she didn't want to be there.

I could only resort to one of my most powerful weapons.

Coaxing.

"Ah, what's this? What could cause my Ophie to get so upset?" My voice went gentle and soft, my hand lightly rubbing circles into her back. "Hmm? What could do such a thing? Won't Ophie tell me so I can take care of it?"

If Ophelia was a cat, I'm sure she'd be purring up a storm right now. Instead of saying anything despite me cooing at her for a while, Ophelia only buried her head deeper into her shoulder and didn't even move a couple inches. I was just glad that sitting up was one of the postures I was most used to as I wouldn't have to try and lay the both of us down on Ophelia's bed. That would be an ordeal all on its own.

Ophelia finally said something after awhile. Though it didn't particularly make sense. "I don't..." She squeezed me a bit tighter. "I don't want Ava to get married."

"Didn't we have this conversation before? Even then, would it really be enough to make you cry if I got married?"

"Yes. Especially with that guy." Ophelia spoke into my shoulder, making it tickle a bit. I was still quite confused.

What guy? There was a guy in this whole equation? Perhaps the person that Ophelia liked? I am completely in the dark.

"What guy?"

"... Merlin."

"Why would I get married to Merlin? What ever put such an idea in your head?"

"Because the childhood friend always wins!"

It took a bit for my brain to catch up to what exactly was happening. I never mentioned this, but in fiction books in this world a lot of the tropes we have are reversed. For example, rather than second male lead syndrome there's just regular male lead syndrome. So in this world the childhood friend would always get the protagonist rather than the new love interest. It was kind of weird but I got used to it.

And what ever gave Ophelia the idea that Merlin was my childhood friend? He's my student for Christ's sake! Not to mention Merlin would ever look at me that way. If he did, all those tosses into the ground I did to him all those years ago might have caused some brain damage.

Also, I was not a cradle robber. I'm older than him (mentally) by over a decade! Don't compare me to those weird old men in aristocratic romance novels who're supposed to wed the heroine in a political marriage. Speaking of which, I'd like to recommend a few but that comes later.

I pulled Ophelia off me slowly and held her head in my hands. She was pouting cutely, lips pursed and everything. Yes. This is peak adorableness. Absolute moe. The ultimate meng. I couldn't help but kiss her forehead. Wait, what?

"Ophie. This isn't a novel, this is the real world." Well, this world is a novel but the plot has already been destroyed so it doesn't matter. "Don't be silly."

"But-"

"No buts. Now go to sleep. You have a very full schedule tomorrow of classes, friends, and many other wonderful things. While I'll be stuck doing boring chores." 

Before Ophelia could argue anymore, I picked her up and tucked her in tight under the covers of her bed. Nice and tight. To the point of no escape. So I could go get some sleep by myself.

"Goodnight, Ophie."

Ophelia glared at me from her bed prison. "Goodnight."

I smiled at her before silently retreating into the hallway. Before Merlin could talk to me I left the student dorms. I don't even know if that boy sleeps. Though I need sleep so it doesn't matter.

I made my way through the dark night and got to the servant's quarters safely, going into my room to see all of my roommates out cold in their beds. Lucky them.

Changing into my pajamas, a long brown nightgown, and crawling into my firm bed really brought about a strange sense of joy. My bed was in no way soft but it was mine and that's all that mattered. As much as I love my bed and want to sleep, however, my body refuses to rest as I wish for it to do. The greatest curse to ever grace the sleepy person, your body refusing to sleep. And I had no phone to occupy myself with until I did fall asleep.

What a cruel world this is.

Well, since I can't sleep I might as well go over some of my favorite fiction stories of this world. Since I don't have the books with me right now, I can only go over the plots. Even in another world, I need to keep the bookworm in me well fed. This is Ava's, or Marie's if you wanna get technical, other world book report!

I know this is really filler-y but stay with me.

The very best book I would like to recommend is Witch's Gambit, the best yuri, romance, fantasy book I've ever come across in this world. The book doesn't follow the magic rules of this world so it's quite fresh. The plot goes something like this. The world has always been kept alive by witches, using the magic granted to them by God to keep the earth living and breathing. Sadly, the human race accuses the witches of killing the world and them, resorting to killing witches which results in the lands dying. As the number of witches grows lower and lower, so do the hospitable places on earth. One of the remaining life supporting places in the world, Seers Spire, is home to the witch only known as The Conductor. Ailana, a witch who has only recently awakened her powers, is taken in by The Conductor as an apprentice and taught the ways of magic. Eventually, The Conductor leaves Seers Spire to assist another witch who no longer feels safe in her environment. Ailana, fearing for The Conductor's safety, goes after her and faces many obstacles while realizing her love for The Conductor. Spoiler alert, The Conductor dies and my heart is still in shambles but it was still worth the read!

I'm already starting to feel sleepy. Another book should have me down for the count! Okay, another book I really like...

Oh! Jaded! I really like Jaded! Jaded is this murder mystery story that only came out a couple months ago and it is so, so, so good. God, my inner book nerd is exploding. Anyway, it's about this precious jade amulet that's supposedly cursed and causes their owner to become unfeeling, to the point that they'd even kill someone to try and feel something. At an auction house the jade amulet is to be sold to the highest bidder. The main character, Ruth Campbelle, is a reporter doing a story on the amulet and comes to the auction house to get a good scoop. When she finds herself and many other people trapped in the auction house, the amulet stolen, and people are getting killed left and right, she has to use whatever wit she has to figure out who has the amulet and how to escape the auction house in one piece. Lest the jaded killer catch up to her. My heart was racing through that entire book I tell you! Ruth was just my main woman the entire book and her cute interactions with the self-made businessman love interest made me all warm and fuzzy inside.

And wouldn't you know it, I was out like a light.

There were many things I could've thought about instead of books, Merlin's conversation with me, Ophelia's conversation with me, the meaning of life itself, I preferred not to. With all the drama this life had handed to me, I would like to have a nice, calm rest of my existence among books and watching Ophelia grow up good and well.

And you know what they say. Density is bliss. Even if I would need to try and get rid of it eventually.

[ Guys my internet decided to go out yesterday and I was so sad but then it came back on today and I was so happy so I wrote a kind of long filler-ish chapter, please don't get mad. Keep yourselves clean and healthy and surround yourselves with yuri and yaoi like the good shut-ins you are. I believe in you. Also wash your hands. Please. Love you. ]