The Power Of The Dubannes Pt.3

Today, I officially met Carol's father. It did not go well. I firmly believe that he attempted to kill me.

Then again, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's start at the beginning of the day, shall we?

As I am a weak soul, I was once again sharing the hospital bed with Ophelia. She had convinced me to sleep with her every night since she was hospitalized. I decided to chock it up to pampering to save my pride as a mature adult.

I woke up in the early hours of the morning, as I often did, and found myself in quite the predicament. I wasn't fully awake yet, my eyes hadn't opened but I felt like something weird was going on. Mostly because I could hear two voices, one belonging to Ophelia and the other unknown. What I assumed to be Ophelia's hand was running through my hair gently. My eyes definitely weren't opening now. So I instead decided to eavesdrop.

I may have taught Ophie that eavesdropping wasn't ladylike but when have I ever been?

"Has everything gone as planned?" Ophelia asked, still stroking my head gently.

A voice I had never heard before replied to her. "Yes, Boss. As of current, everything is progressing smoothly."

"Good. If anything unexpected occurs, report to me immediately. Understood?"

"Yes..."

"What is it?"

"Does she know anything?"

I could actually hear the disgusted tone in Ophelia's tone when she replied to them. "She doesn't know anything and it will stay that way. Now leave me be, I'd like to get some sleep."

"Of course, Boss."

With that, the conversation ended and it got quiet again. I waited at least twenty minutes before pretending to wake up. Ophelia was already asleep so it wasn't necessary, but I still needed to be convincing and go about my usual schedule like nothing strange had happened. My mind was still racing.

Who was that unknown voice? I couldn't even tell if they were male or female. Why did Ophelia know them? What plan were they talking about? There were too many questions and I wasn't getting enough answers.

Nothing would come of me wondering though, so I could only put on my exercise clothes and leave Ophelia's hospital room to do my daily run and stretches in the courtyard. That actually brought more problems to today.

During my run, I came about something strange. My usual running route was in a forested area, where Carol was originally supposed to discover Alexander in the canon of the book, which I appreciated because it was beautiful in the early morning and it was quiet.

Today, however, it was not.

"Leave me alone!"

"I just want to talk to you."

"Well, I don't want to talk to you! Go away!"

The two arguing in a clearing were Alexander in his freckled human form and Floyd, looking like his usual dreary self. Why they were yelling in a fucking forest, I had no idea. I could kind of figure out the reason out of context though. Floyd was following Alexander again. How it had gotten this far off campus, only they knew.

They were being loud as shit. So I left and finished my run early.

What, did you think I'd waste my time figuring out what edgelord and pink goose were yelling about? I think we all know I don't care about them.

My early morning still ended with many questions.

--------

The afternoon is when I became truly worried about where the day would lead. I was feeding Ophelia her lunch, yes hand feeding, when I could hear a commotion coming from the hallway.

"Don't they know this is a place of healing? What's with all the noise?" I scowled as I set aside Ophelia's lunch to stand up.

Ophelia only shrugged, but I couldn't help but feel this had something to do with the 'plan' that had been mentioned this early morning. Call it maid's intuition. Or paranoia.

I stood and walked to the door, about to open it before it flew off its hinges. Literally. I had to use my magic to prevent the door from hitting me. What the hell?

"Lord Millstone! Stop this destruction immediately and come with us peacefully!"

Dammit. It's the heroine's annoyingly doting father.

"Not until that girl admits to being a liar! My Carol would never do such a thing!"

"What in the world is happening out here? Do any of you value your lives, to be yelling in a hospital ward with my lady resting in it?"

"Ah, Miss Simmonds..."

In the hallway, I was met with a small group of school guards and the aforementioned Earl Millstone. Just like in the book, he and Carol looked nothing alike. While she had brown hair, he had platinum blonde. While she had blue eyes, he had green. There was also the fact that he was a grown man, not a teenage girl but whatever. He wasn't even a handsome man. Rather than the indifference I was used to, this man sparked deep annoyance into my bones. He always had. But that was for another time, when he wasn't fucking screaming in my face. Did I mention that he is a full-grown man yelling at a young adult? A tall full-grown man yelling at a young adult.

"You're the maid to that little liar?!"

"My Lady is no liar, Lord Millstone. Please do quiet down, there are others resting here."

I made eyes at one of the guards and mouthed 'Go get Duke Dubannes'. They were quick to nod and run off at my orders. At least some people here were competent.

"Are you calling my daughter a liar then?!" Ugh, he was still yelling at me.

I shook my head. Amazing how I keep myself calm in these situations. I deserve a drink when I'm off this campus. They didn't have alcohol here.

"I dare not, Lord Millstone. Yet your actions aren't helping Miss Millstone out either. Her father barging into a hospital ward, demanding the victim to stop 'lying', and destroying school property. If anything, Lord Millstone, aren't you giving the school more reason to suspect her guilt?" I tipped my head to the side innocently, the question floating through the air for a short time before I was sent rolling on the floor.

Damn, I got slapped hard. What is with the Millstone family and slapping people? Ugh.

"Ava!"

"Please stay in your room, Young Miss. It's quite dangerous out here."

I simply sat upon the floor with my hand on my cheek, looking pitiful. At least I hoped I did. Ophelia had come out of her resting room, looking horrified. Maybe the slap had left and entire half of my face red. Actually my hand felt a bit wet. Was I bleeding? Ah, Ophelia had never seen blood before. Of course she'd be worried.

"This insufferable maid is of course yours, you little liar!" Earl Millstone had advanced towards Ophelia and I was quick to stand in front of her protectively.

"Lord Millstone, calm yourself!" And then I went rolling again. My vision was dizzy for a bit, but I could surely see blood on the floor this time. If him hitting me could cause blood to come out, if Ophelia got hit she'd die!

Thankfully, the guards had actually begun to try and restrain Earl Millstone. Ophelia had came to my side with teary eyes.

"Ava, Ava are you alright?!"

"... The room is a bit blurry. I believe that I should be okay."

"B-but..." Ophelia looked quite terrified as she touched my head, I hissed. So that's where the blood was coming from.

"Your father should be here now."

"Huh?"

Just as Ophelia was going to ask me what I meant, a loud shout came from the door to the hospital ward.

"What the hell is that Millstone intending to do here?!"

I think I fainted directly afterwards as the world went dark.