Thousands Of Years

[ Guess what you're in for! ANOTHER POV CHAPTER! YEEEEAH! Enjoy (。・∀・)ノ゙ ]

Once again, the time of year in which the humans become amicable with each other regardless of status or age or other restrictions has drawn near.

The Midwinter's Festival if I remember correctly.

I find it laughable that they find purpose in only this time of year to care about those who are not as well off as them, becoming saint-like for such a short time. It's truly a spectacle to behold.

A week of feeding the less fortunate, then another week of clothing the less fortunate, then a week of becoming emotionally aware.

Shouldn't they be working in the first place so that the less fortunate will be able to feed and clothe themselves? Why is it that after this time of year people return to being selfish, working only for themselves?

Humans are so hard to understand. Though I do appreciate their simple way of thinking.

It makes having them hate me much easier to do. As long as they don't like me first, I won't feel as bad when they throw me away once my use is lost.

In that story, the golden cloak stranger is also used in a roundabout way. They have such an important role in the story, yet their name is never given.

It's such a good thing, that with the thousands of years I've lived, I got to meet that golden cloak wearing stranger and learn their name. Or perhaps it was my misfortune. Either way, I might be the only one who knows their true name.

A fellow floon, much older than I. Floons have always been tasked with taking care of the humans, to bring them blessings and keep their fates in order. Yet they capture us, kill us, and use our magic for their own selfish reasons.

That is why I am adamant in making them not like me. So it won't hurt as much when I am used and abused. The first couple of times taught me well.

Unlike me and my pink feathers, that floon had been golden in color like the sun. Eyecatching and full of magical energy. But rather than being filled with arrogance and privilege, that floon was full of wisdom and warmth, as if it had lived millions if lives and knew the plights of all of them.

Why such a being wished to speak to me, a floon plucked clean of its feathers and left in the snow, was a mystery. What had happened that time? Ah yes, I had been lured in by a 'friend' and had myself held down to have my magical plumage stripped from me.

That was fun.

The first thing I had seen was not their floon form, but that human form that was so talked about in those stories. A golden cloak covered them, a void seeming to cover their face from view. The first thing they said to me was something I still do not understand.

"But a drop in the ocean this is, my child. Many more will come. Do not let these drops trap you in a puddle, rather than add to your ocean."

They had picked me up after that, the warmth emitting from their cloak rather than their body. I had noticed, although fleetingly, that the snow under their feet melted to reveal green grass and blossoming flowers. Evidence of their age and power.

A floon who had found their purpose. How enviable.

That person had walked with me in their arms for God knows how long, but eventually I felt the world warp around us. A barrier. The difference in temperatures was felt instantly. It was from biting cold to embracing warmth. Like the perfect summer day.

That place was safe and warm, and very vibrant. I was allowed to stay there with that person for a long time while my feathers grew back again.

It was much better than having to wait for my head to grow back. After all, floons cannot truly ever die. We may only be reborn to continue our existences, our purpose.

Yet I did not know of my purpose.

They had shown me many things while I was in that space with them. Their golden cloak, lined on the inside with their own feathers. The little oasis they had created, peaceful without a sign of human tampering. And the wisdom they had to pass on.

"Being told what you purpose is differs much from when you find your own purpose."

"Many kings have raised kingdoms, but only good fathers can raise kings to take their place."

"If your reason for being is lost, find it. No one else will."

"The mind is quite powerful, but it is nothing without a body."

I spent a long time surrounded by their strange, unexpected quotes. Rather than getting smarter, I felt as if I was becoming more and more confused with their advice. But I still enjoyed being in their presence, as it was an experience I had never had.

I knew that they wouldn't throw me away or use me, because they already had all they wanted.

Like all things, it eventually came to an end. My feathers had grown back which meant I had to begin my work at the expense of myself once again. The last two things that person said to me were very important.

"My name is Chloris. If you ever need a place to stay, just say my name three times and you shall be brought to my sanctuary."

Though the second thing they said continues to confuse me.

"Just like Lumineve, the only way you may find your happiness is to melt your heart. Only then will your path to the spring begin."

I do not believe my heart has frozen. I am in no way heartless.

I've just learned to use my heart less.

It has been a couple thousand years since then. I have not encountered Chloris again all this time, nor have I had to use their space to escape. I have encountered many interesting humans during this time.

That girl, Ava, who has no earthly desires it seems. Yet her fate is a pure white color, one that will bring her great joy in the form of emotional completion. The first person to want nothing from me but to leave.

That girl with a black fate and heart, Carole, who seemed to be in the wrong place. A fate that had been switched around by a misplacement.

The girl who Ava lives for, Ophelia, who lives also for her. With a pure white fate as well, connected to Ava's fate just as much as she is to hers.

And then there's... The outlier.

The idiot prince of the Andize Kingdom, Floyd. I cannot see his fate.

I just know that he's extremely strange.

I am the meanest I can possibly be to him, yet he continues to approach me. Like an unkillable cockroach.

I have berated him, yelled at him, avoided him, and even ignored him. Yet he continues to come to find me. It's like he's a natural Alexander finder. If there is a sentence I have heard the most in my entire life at this point, it would be "There you are.".

However, it doesn't seem like he wants any magic or other things from me. If he did, he should have killed me or something by now. But he has not done anything.

I've recently become used to his presence, though his stare continues to make me uncomfortable it isn't unbearable. So, I will observe this outlier human while I am here and figure out what he wants.

It is only because he's interesting that I feel a bit sad.

In the thousands of years I will continue to live, he will die. And I will have no one to observe.

That is my only regret.

[ Two updates?! In one day?! From me?! Yeah. I made the Alexander chapter very vague because he's going to be a very important plot character maybe. So enjoy this. We might get a Floyd chapter soon. Or a Carole chapter. I don't know. You don't either. ]

[ Love you guys~ ]