What Is Life Without Laughter

I suppose I won't have the opportunity to try and figure out how I came to even exist in this world with my mother's former status as Master Commander and such. I could always think about that later. Though right now my biggest priority was...

The pretty black-haired, golden-eyed girl with her head in my lap sobbing her eyes out. Mother had abandoned me in such a situation, knowing she could probably do nothing to help. She had always only been good at comforting me, never other people.

Other than me or her parents, who knew Ophelia's temperament well enough to comfort her?

Although I hadn't done it much, the motions were seemingly engraved into my being. Gently moving my hand to her head, I slowly rubbed her head feeling the messy hair relax under my experienced palm. I said nothing, as I knew saying anything at this stage would only make her more upset.

I did not increase the pressure in my hand nor stop it, only continuing to gently pat her head and run my fingers through her hair to get any knots out. Slowly, Ophelia's sobs quieted into sniffles and whimpers. Now was the time to let her talk rather then talk myself.

Ophelia's head slowly rose up from my lap, various wet spots left behind on the sheets that covered me. When I saw her face I couldn't help but worry. Her eyes were red and watery, tear tracks trailing down her cheeks that had lost color. There was even snot coming out of her nose. But I could not say anything yet. This was her time to cry, to speak, and to become okay.

My hand stalled in its motions and rested on her head without moving. Just gentle pressure. An assurance that I was there.

I smiled at Ophelia, still not moving otherwise. She began to tremble and more tears came out of her eyes. Did I truly look that pitiful? I was going for the strong, silent smile. Guess it didn't work.

One of her pale hands, which I noticed had seemed to get thinner and possess nails longer than Ophelia usually liked, shook like a leaf as it reached out to me and finally rested on the bandaged part of my head.

"D-does it hurt?" Ophelia's usually calm and confident voice held a tremor in it, one of the many things that showed her worry. At least, that's what I think it was. Always worrying about other people before herself, what a silly girl.

I'm glad I helped raise such a good girl.

I shook my head slightly, already feeling quite dizzy from the sudden movement. "No, it doesn't hurt. I just get a bit dizzy when I move too fast."

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"What are you apologizing for? You didn't knock me out."

"B-b-but if I hadn't-" Ophelia began to stutter, another crying fit sure to happen. I gently shushed her, pressing our foreheads together lightly and looking into her eyes. Gold met pink, chaos met calm, and for some reason I felt as if everything in the world was right.

"But nothing. You were not in control of that silly Earl, nor his behavior. If you had done something, I fear it would be you stuck in a hospital bed. Not knowing if you'd be dead or alive everyday would tear me to pieces." My voice was soft and gentle as I spoke to Ophelia, moving my other hand to her cheek leaving the other on her head.

Tears began to run down Ophelia's face again. "I'd always take your place if it meant you'd be alright."

"I know. Ophie cares for me so much, but she should care for herself too." I cooed, stroking her cheek. "Otherwise, I'll get mad."

Ophelia didn't say anything for awhile before finally mumbling something under her breath that I couldn't hear.

"Hm? Did you say something- mmh!"