Family & Friends On First Friday

The gardens of the Dubannes estate were coated in snow, although the stone pathways had been shoveled, ice melted, and the water used elsewhere by the water magic groundskeepers, leaving only the pillowy, shiny, yet firm snow on the ground.

Perfect for building snowmen, igloos, or any other snow objects.

Or just snowball war. That worked as well.

I've seen many, many snowball fights in my day. Back when I was Marie our city would get tons of snow, enough to the point where snow days were planned for in advance during summer break. While the snow in this domain wasn't anything to scoff at it wasn't as spectacular as I was used to.

So here I was, standing to the side and watching a snowball battle of the ages between the four Dubannes children. Giggles and the fwoosh of snowballs flying back and forth. I probably would've been standing out here with Merlin if it weren't for the facts the knights here had a strict training schedule. Training in the morning, before lunch, and after dinner. I used to spend my free time, if I ever had any, watching the knights train when I was younger. However, that's not the point right now.

It had been a whirlwind suggestion on William's part that everyone go out and play in the snow. The little scamp had almost gone running out into the freezing weather with only his indoor clothes on, nearly gave his servant a heart attack. Speaking of which, I've noticed that the personal servants of the Young Masters are significantly older than I was when I began to be Ophelia's personal maid. Perhaps I had special treatment due to Mother's status as the personal maid to the lady of the house. I'll never know. Never care either.

We all get paid either way.

But watching all of the descendants of House Dubannes having a great time was always something to be appreciated. Since Ophie had spent most of her time away from home at school, I could tell she truly valued having this quality time with all of her younger brothers and was going to use the entire month to its full extent. Then again I'm going to be stuck with the entire servant's quarters bothering me about all sorts of topics for a month.

Family is a blessing and a damn curse, amen. Which actually brings me to my current dilemma while trying to simply enjoy the holiday atmosphere.

"So, Ava dear, what are you going to do for the Midwinter Party? You'll have to wear something nice."

"Uh huh."

"You still haven't brought anyone home to us, and you're not getting younger!"

"Mhm."

"You know, my nephew, the one apprenticing for that renowned merchant, is in town for the holiday. I could introduce him to you."

"Is that so?"

"He's a plain boy, but plenty of personality, real sweetie. Knows how to treat a girl right. With his merchant job he'll be making plenty money, maybe even enough to buy a title for himself!"

"Really?"

Getting older is a pretty good thing when you've been self aware since you were a baby that had her diapers change and could only communicate through crying, but there were still plenty of problems that came with it. Such as this universal annoyance of nosy older people worrying about you being single and trying to hook you up with their relatives. All. The. Time. Why did I have to be born so pretty and well adjusted? Then again, mother kept most of the other servants away with this kind of talk after the first fit she threw when I first became old enough to think about going steady with someone.

That was a fun time. Oh, wait I have been tuning her out this entire time. What were we talking about? Her nephew? Something about him being plain? I could care less but I'm making an effort, okay.

"He even mentioned expanding his business to a port station over in Endymion and putting my nephew in charge of operations! That boy's going places for sure."

"Oh."

It's always the old ladies who try and double down on how impressive their male relatives are and that quite honestly lowers the bar of my expectations enough for them to somewhat measure up. And even then I have to actually like them, y'know? You're pushing a lot on me, miss. This is just making it seem like your nephew can't get anyone to like him and your sibling is desperate to have a something-in-law...

I really just want my roasted sugar nuts. And maybe a nice brew to enjoy with them. Coffee, of course. Liquor doesn't taste as good with roasted sugar nuts.

"And I win!" William's boisterous voice boomed above the snowy battlefield with great vigor. He was posed in a victory stance, hands on his hips atop a mound of snow that was at some point a shield from the constant barrage of snowballs.

Luckily his announcement had saved me from further matchmaking interaction as all the servants at the side clapped for his small but mighty achievement. Even though we all knew Ophelia had let him win and his brothers had gotten bored and decided to make snowmen instead.

It was a good day. Everything had its end at some point, however, and Lady Ysabelle eventually forced everyone inside for a clothes change and warm drink. As soon as the Dubannes family settled down together around the fire of the inner parlour I was dismissed until further notice.

Which left me woefully unprotected from the pursuit of the gossipy old women of the house.

In the kitchen when I got a spiked cider for my troubles, the head cook, Ms. Rhea, stopped me to chat about her grandson who was getting a job in the palace. I could only smile and bear it to make it seem like I cared.

"Good for him."

When I was helping Isadora with the bed linens, it seemed every wrinkly lady had a son or nephew or whatever to boast about. They only stopped when Isadora threatened to bash them with a duster.

I loved all of my fellow servants, truly. I respected their dedication and kindness. They were my family in every single way.

But if I have to hear one more speech on how great some relative or other was and how we might be a match I'd yell out in the sleeping quarters and rave a madwoman until no one would talk to me at all. Luckily, the night meant I'd have a few hours of escape and my favorite sweets to show for it.

"Mother, I think I might just kill all the men so people stop talking about them." I groaned it out into mother's chest as soon as I could get a hold of her for a hug. I felt her chest vibrate under me with a slight growl to her voice.

"Are those ladies bothering you again? I can tell them to stop."

"It's no use, they'll keep coming until I'm either pregnant or dead."

"Don't say it like that. Like I'd let one of those strangers pick up my child." Mother let out a huff against my hair that tickled my head, I couldn't help laughing.

"I'll be relying on you to fight them off."

I finally detached myself from her warm embrace and she reached down and began her regular fussing with my coat, scarf, and hat for going out in the cold. She was dressed in a thick, black wool coat, a knit scarf, and matching knit hat. My coat was made of red wool, with a pretty ribbon to tie it closed with and similarly knit hat and scarf.

Aunt May had gone on a bit of a knitting bender and made winter accessories for our entire room, with her and Aunt Isadora also having matching sets.

When she was finally done fixing up whatever trivial little thing she could find, her pretty face split into a grin.

"Roasted sugar nuts first?"

"Yes, please."

And we were out the door into the snowy night.

[ wew ]