The Time Has Come

For about a week now, I've had something on my mind. Well, someone. Not Ophelia or Merlin, but Lianne. It's been a month since I met her, but she seems to have known my Mother since she asked about her by name or at least been familiar with her. Not to mention that look on her face when I had told her that I was her daughter. A look of despair and utter heartbreak. I'd only ever seen those faces in dramas and read about them and felt sympathy, but seeing one in real life was a total other experience. It felt like being slapped in the face really hard. At the moment, me and Mother are eating dinner peacefully. Her mood seems good so if I were to ask her, now was a great time.

     I gently placed my spoon down on the table after finishing my soup and took a deep breath. "Mother?"

     She looked at me curiously, still chewing on some food with her cheeks puffed out. Mother swallowed after a few more chews. "Yes, Ava?"

     "Do you know anyone named Lianne?"

     The name's effect was instantaneous, Mother's eyes going wide and her mouth gaping for a moment before she composed herself.

     "It... It sounds familiar. Why do you ask?" She poked at her food, a nervous habit I noticed she had.

     "A woman who owns a boutique I visited with Ophelia asked for you by name."

     Mother began to softly shake. Why? I had no idea. But she seemed beyond terrified.

     "Does she know you're my child?" She asked with a weak voice. I could only nod. Mother's shaking increased tenfold before all of a sudden, she fell on the ground. Mother had fainted from shock.

      Without hesitation, I ran to find help. I hadn't noticed it, but big fat tears had begun to run down my cheeks like a waterfall. I had already attracted enough attention from many of the other servants around who came to help Mother as soon as I could sputter out what happened.

     I'm so sorry Mother! I'll never talk about Lianne ever again! I'll only talk about happy things, just be okay!

     Mother had stayed out cold for an entire day before waking up in the evening. I had been at her side from the second my work was finished, Ophelia even let me off early so I could care for her.

     "Mother! I'm so sorry, I'll never mention her again just don't do something like that again!" I hugged her waist tightly and before I knew it, I had begun to sob and sniffle all over again. Mother didn't say anything, just rubbed my head gently, waiting for my wailing to end. I hadn't cried like this ever in this life, even as a baby. I don't know how long I cried, or how long Mother comforted me but by the time I had finished, I felt exhausted and couldn't help but fall asleep in Mother's embrace.

--------

     It turns out Mother held onto me for the whole night as I woke up in the early morning with her arms wrapped tightly around me and mine wrapped around her torso. I didn't have the heart to pull away so I simply laid next to her and thought. What had happened between Mother and Lianne to make her react in such a way? Were they once friends? Servants? Enemies? Or something else? The heartbroken look on Lianne's face would make sense then, along with Mother's reaction with me mentioning her. Perhaps a relationship that went sour? But... Is Mother into girls? That put my train of thought off the rails. She had me so maybe Mother is bi? Actually, forget it. Thinking about my Mother's sexuality is something I'd rather not do. I'll love her no matter what anyways. If she wants to tell me, she'll tell me. The best course of action after this would be to talk to Lianne since Mother didn't seem to have the heart to. How would I get out of the mansion though? I spent the rest of the morning until it was time to work hatching up a plan.