Chapter Four

Flick POV

I helped Jack and Casey clear up before collapsing onto one of the booth seats. I was exhausted. I had only arrived in New York from London this morning and my body had not had chance to adjust to the time difference. Jack had been there at the airport to meet me before saying that he would have to leave me once we got to their place as he would have to head straight to the diner. I really hadn't wanted to be alone with my thoughts and instead decided I would much prefer to dive straight into my New York life so had asked if instead I could work the shift today. Jack had thought I was insane but as he began to realise how serious I was he had agreed.

The diner was Jack's pride and joy. He had come over to New York for a gap year after university. His plan was to start in New York before he would then travel all across America, but it was his first night in New York sat in a bar that he first met Casey. They quickly fell in love and then instead of continuing his travels he stayed in New York to be with Casey. He trained as a chef whilst Casey worked in a bar and then four years later they were then able to open Jack's which quickly became a popular restaurant in Manhattan. When ever I came over to visit Jack and Casey I would love to spend my evenings in a booth at the diner just watching the people as they came and went and now here I was for I don't know how long getting to work here instead. I loved the diner and I hoped I could just come to love the city.

I lifted my phone out of my pocket and smiled as I read the text I had received before. I still couldn't believe that Tom Hiddleston and Charlie Cox had both been here tonight. I had even recognised Zawe from St Trinian's and as I had looked online on my phone I had discovered they were all here to perform on Broadway in Betrayal.

I opened up a new text screen and began to type.

It was lovely to meet you all this evening. I hope you enjoyed your meal and please pass on my regards to Charlie and Zawe. Flick x

"Are your ready Flick?" Jack asked as he followed Casey out of the kitchen.

"I sure am" I replied as a yawn escaped my mouth. I was ready just to get into bed and fall asleep right now. Today had been a long and emotional day.

Jack helped me to my feet and took my bag from me throwing it across his shoulder. "Let's get you home and to bed."

***

I woke the following morning feeling much more refreshed. It was eight o'clock according to the alarm clock on my bedside table. The house was all quiet around me but I knew that Jack and Casey would probably already be at the diner doing the breakfast shift. I knew that breakfast time and the evenings were usually their busiest times and Jack liked to do as much of the cooking as possible which usually meant that he had very little time off. Last night Jack had told me that he had given me most of the day off to be able to get fully rested following my flight and I wouldn't start till four but now that I was alone in the house I could feel all the bad memories I had run from beginning to creep back. I wrapped the duvet tight around me as I closed my eyes trying to hold back the tears.

"This is your fresh start" I whispered trying to comfort myself. "You can do this Flick."

I heard my text alert go off on my phone so presuming that it was either my parents or Jack I took a deep breath to calm myself again before picking my phone up.

Good morning, sorry I didn't reply last night but the jet lag got too much and after leaving the diner I just went straight home to bed. How are you this morning? I will pass on your regards when I see Charlie and Zawe. Tom x

I smiled as I read his words remembering the previous evening. Whilst talking to Tom, Charlie and Zawe I had begun to feel myself for the first time in months. For those brief few minutes I forgot my past and it felt like I was talking to friends and when Tom had asked me for my number I had nearly died right there of shock. The very famous Tom Hiddleston had asked me for my number as he would like to get to know me more. I was nobody yet he wanted to know me. I quickly clicked reply.

Good morning. Did you only fly over yesterday too? I was reading about Betrayal last night after you left. You must be so proud that it is coming to Broadway. Flick x

I didn't have to wait long for his reply at all.

Yes I only arrived yesterday morning. Got an interview later today and then we start rehearsals tomorrow. I am so proud of us all. Betrayal really is close to my heart and I can't wait to bring it to a whole new audience. I am so excited! Tom x

Before I had even had chance to read all of his message another one came through.

When the performances start you and your family should come and see it. I can arrange tickets for you. Tom x

I smiled to myself. In all the times I had been to visit Jack and Casey in New York I had never been to see a play on Broadway and I would imagine that Casey would love to as well.

That would be lovely thank you. Flick x

I placed my phone back on my bedside table whilst I went through to the bathroom and by the time I had come back there was another message waiting for me.

So what are your plans for the day? Tom x

By now as each new text arrived I was excited to read it to see what Tom would say next. These texts seemed to provide a light within my life which I hadn't seen for a very long time.

Start at the diner at 4 until it closes but other than that nothing. Will probably start unpacking. Flick x

By now I was just sitting waiting for his reply staring at my phone.

Ah that's a shame. I was going to see if you fancied meeting up for a walk later once I was done with my interview but maybe another time? Tom x

I couldn't believe it. As well as wanting my number Tom also wanted to meet up with me. Was this even real life anymore I questioned myself. Had I maybe been in an accident and this was all happening in my head in my coma like state?

Another time would be lovely. Flick x

Another time it is then. Sadly I must go now as duty calls but I will text you later. Have a good day. Tom x

Once I had read his last text I sighed and placed my phone back down on the beside table whilst I went through to the bathroom to get a shower. The combination of the flight and working at the diner last night has left me feeling grimy and I couldn't wait to feel fresher.

I spent a good half an hour stood under the water letting it flow across my body as I stood with my eyes closed running through the texts Tom and I had exchanged this morning. Each one bringing a smile to my face. I had come to New York leaving an awful lot of problems and bad memories behind. When my parents had first suggested the idea that maybe I should come to stay with Jack for a while I had thought it was the worst idea they had ever come up with, sending me to a relatively strange city in a completely different country but now that I was here things felt different. I loved Jack and Casey and always wished that I got to see them more which now I had the chance of and then what was this with Tom?

Maybe New York was what I needed after all.